Image Quality of Uploaded Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Nick pic the bottom picture is worse quality. Zoom in on the bug in the background

Skyactiv needs to post another pic to compare

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
test

That one is so resized that I can't even see it ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Critic,

I think you are being too Critical. Photo perfection on a forum is a pipe dream.

Fair enough. If we can consistently get results similar to the Imgur-hosted images, I would be happy with that.

Stay tuned and come back to this thread later today. My wife has a Sigma camera with a unique Foveon sensor. I plan to snap a few pics in RAW, convert to jpeg, post to Imgur? and this site as a comparison.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Maybe I'm getting old, but they look close to me....
cool.gif

It depends what you're viewing it on and if you plan on zooming in and/or printing on a large paper format.

For basic on-screen viewing, there isn't going to be a lot of difference.

BITOG sizes it down to 1024x768, which is less than 1 megapixel. By comparison, imgur doesn't have megapixel restrictions, as long as the file is less than 20 MB, so you could upload 24-30 megapixel images which would offer a lot more detail when zoomed in or viewed on a large 4K/high res monitor.

cool.gif

It depends what you're viewing it on and if you plan on zooming in and/or printing on a large paper

By comparison, imgur doesn't have megapixel restrictions, as long as the file is less than 20 MB, so you could upload 24-30 megapixel images.

You use bitog to generate poster boards?

Uh huh and every 6 months all your imgur pics turn into this.

I have never seen an 3rd party image host leave images up more than 4 years, most shut down ruining how to and technical threads making them incomprehensible.

In my mind no point in using a 3rd party host unless you personally own it.

3A393714-4C4F-4D18-8680-1F63BA94F322.jpeg

Pic doesn't do the cars justice.
My BIL built the 62 Fuelie. Searched for years to get period correct parts. It's a real stunner.
He's got ton$ into this car... These cars are a labor of love.
Mark is currently replacing the weatherstrips in my old Plain Jane 68.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
cool.gif

It depends what you're viewing it on and if you plan on zooming in and/or printing on a large paper

By comparison, imgur doesn't have megapixel restrictions, as long as the file is less than 20 MB, so you could upload 24-30 megapixel images.

You use bitog to generate poster boards?

I never said I did. I was jjust trying to explain to the previous poster where one might see some differences.
21.gif

Uh huh and every 6 months all your imgur pics turn into this.

I have never seen an 3rd party image host leave images up more than 4 years, most shut down ruining how to and technical threads making them incomprehensible.

My imgur account is older than 4 years. Everything still works, but yes, it's a free service, subject to being taken down/reorganized at any time.

Originally Posted by frankbee3
I have wanted to try the Sigma Foveon sensor for a long time now.

How does your wife like the camera?

She had a Sigma DSLR, don't know the model. She sold it while in NYC and got a fixed lens Sigma. She likes the Sigma and it can take awesome pics, but requires ideal conditions. You gotta shoot raw as the in camera jpeg processing is as bad as a 20 year old BlackBerry. So every pic takes effort. I tried to make the crummy pic I took above match what the eye would see. No overblown saturation... .

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Click on the smaller, bottom photo and than click on load full resolution. Look at the exif data if you want.

That's super sharp. What was the original resolution? The uploaded image is 2640 × 1760.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Click on the smaller, bottom photo and than click on load full resolution. Look at the exif data if you want.

That's super sharp. What was the original resolution? The uploaded image is 2640 × 1760.

2640 × 1760 is the original resolution and the max the camera is capable of. Sigma says it's X3 because the Foveon sensor reads each of the three color channels individually instead of
interpolation that a Bayer sensor does. The Foveon sensor can be thought of as the old Technicolor three strip film setup in a sense. But the end result is 2640 × 1760 resolution in the sample hosted pic.

Thanks, I hope to get something with a Foveon sensor sometime soon.
I have read that getting the colors right along with exposure could be tricky. Sounds like world class results in the right hands. Or, terrible in mine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back