I'm planning to making a database with ALL the UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, having all our UOA information in its respective forums is great.
Having it all in tables with uniform formatting and columns for all the information we usually track is better.
As a result, I designed a form to be used for this purpose.

You may have seen an early version of this form posted in this thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014181#000000

I now have this form refined slightly and with an Access database to keep the data in.
Once we get so many entries in the database, I'd like to export out to text format so that we could post the information either on the main BITOG page or perhaps in a sticky thread. This would be MUCH easier to skim through than several hundred UOAs all in different formats and spread through four years worth of posts.
I've already got BITOG's 26 first gasoline UOAs, 21 Ford/Mazda Duratec UOAs and 7 of the board's longest-interval gas UOAs entered.
Anyone interested in volunteering to help me enter all this data? I'll probably do it all myself eventually, but I figure I'll get it done quicker by myself.
Post in here if you're interested and we can discuss specifics.
I'll be posting a sample of a couple of analyses later in this thread.

Notes:

Michael Wan made a very nice form I've noticed here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=000095
I've considered using just a couple of the fields on there including:
Filter Brand
Filter Part #
Sump Size
Make-up Oil
His "conditions" field is interesting, but right now I'm basically putting all of the 4 above information in my "NOTES" field, since it seems like we don't get the above information too often.
I would LOVE to add in the particle counts he has, too, but that's a BUNCH of fields and only in a small minority of UOA posts. Perhaps we could make a special form for posts with that information in, or tabulate it later for the ones with particle counts. That wouldn't take too long, given their numbers...

I've suggested a standardized form for the UOA forum many times. I thought it might make it easier for inexperienced posters to remember all the pertinent data we need to make sense of their report. If you read any typical UOA thread from short-time members, most of the replies will be asking for data that should have been included from the start.

My suggestions have fallen on unsympathic ears so far.

Here are the fields I'm using in my current version. Note that the nice pretty categorical separators keeping elements apart from oil information, etc, used in some of my earlier posts aren't present, although I'm going to see about putting them back in for the final output.

code:

Date 26-Jun-02

Lab OAI

Make BMW

Model 528e

Year 1985

Engine NR

Miles On Vehicle 199700

Oil Brand Amsoil

Oil Series AMO

Oil SAE J300 10W40

API SX NR

Miles on Oil 18300

Months In Svc NR

Antimony Sb NR

Cadmium Cd NR

Vanadium V NR

Aluminum Al 18

Chromium Cr 3

Iron Fe 17

Copper Cu 11

Lead Pb 19

Tin Sn 3

Molybdenum Mo 0

Nickel NR

Manganese Mn NR

Silver Ag NR

Titanium Ti NR

Potassium K NR

Boron B 39

Silicon Si 12

Sodium Na 4

Calcium Ca 4375

Magnesium Mg 35

Phosporus P 1281

Zinc Zn 1378

Barium Ba NR

cST @ 100 C 17

SUS @ 210 F NR

Flashpoint NR

Fuel % 1.3

Antifreeze % NR

Water %
Insolubles % Trace

Sulfur NR

Oxidation 34.4

Nitration 35.7

TBN 10.9

Ferrous Debris NR

Fuel Soot % NR

Glycol Neg

ISO Code NR

Additives NR

URL http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000035

Notes Topoff was 2 Qt Amsoil 20W50

TJ Sample Number 17

The "TJ Sample Number" field bears some explaining. It is actually a number I assign to a post which indicates its order in the board's history. UOA #1 is TJ Sample Number 1, and the 17th still-existent Gas UOA post is above.. a post from June 26 2002 about a BMW 528 full of Amsoil AMO.
I don't say "post number" because I don't want to sound pompous. The field should probably be renamed, but I haven't figured a substitute out.

I like the idea of the "conditions" field. "Geographic location" and "dates the sample was used" might be useful too.

Last week someone called me "dinosaur-brained". Today someone called me "smart". I don't know if I can take this roller-coaster of a ride.
grin.gif
Just kiddin'.

Outstanding work, TomJones76.
cheers.gif

Yeah. I figure we'll never have a sample size on anything that lets us run tests for statistical validity that would have satisfied any of my college science professors, but it would be nice to be able to find EVERY Redline 10W40 UOA in 30 seconds, copy the data to a dedicated spreadsheet in Excel and start trying to plot trends and draw conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back