I'm Now a Mak Daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, this thing is a hoot! Went to the range last night and put over 100 rounds through it - Red Army Standard, Tula, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, and not a single hiccup. I didn't even completely disassemble it to get all the old Cosmoline out of the mechanism - just squirted some Ballistol in around the trigger mech and hammer mech to hopefully seep in and soften the Cosmo up until I can do a detail strip.

Anyway, shot about 12 9-round groups, and the only handgun I've got that might out-shoot it is my $1000+ Dan Wesson 1911, which has a match trigger, match barrel, match bushing, etc.

Trigger was already very good, and actually improved after shooting the 100 rounds and doing some dry-firing. Got smoother and the pull got lighter.

Heck, I don't think this thing has been shot much, if at all. ZERO carbon came out when I cleaned it.

I'm extremely pleased!

I can't stress enough how much I like the trigger! Makes it VERY easy to accurately shoot.

Here are a couple of photos of my targets. On the second target, I shot a couple of groups with my Sig P938, which just came back from Sig from being worked on. Those groups were shot with hot defensive loads - Underwood Gold Dot 124 +P and HST 147 +P.

Anyway, as you can see from the targets, the sights are right on as far as windage, but POI is about 2.5" high at the distance I was shooting - about 25' (max for the indoor range I was at).

All groups shot from 25'.

The Red Army Standard seemed to be the most consistent. Not a surprise, as it was the only brass case stuff out of the 4 different kinds I had, and it was the most expensive at about $15/box. The Tula was the least consistent, and also the cheapest ($10/box). The Tula was also loaded noticeably cooler than the other 3.

All the Mak groups are 9 rounds (its max capacity).

Whoops, looks like I missed a flyer on that middle Brown Bear group on the first target. That opens it up to >3".

Later today, after my run, I'm going to take it to a different range that has up to 25-yard length. It will be interesting to see at what distance the sights are zeroed at. Y'all think POI will drop the farther out I shoot from?

I'm also going to shoot some groups with a couple of other handguns, to see how the Mak stacks up. Will report.

Looks like a nice example! I like the discreet import mark, too.

Now you need an LSA(Landespolizei Sachsen-Anhalt) marked E. German Makarov to go with your piece of the Berlin Wall! These pistols were put into police service after the wall fell. Eventually they were sold as surplus and the LSA markings crossed out.

IMG_2458_zpsgdnxfvl6.jpg

IMG_2461_zpsd88wfy3n.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8

Now you need an LSA(Landespolizei Sachsen-Anhalt) marked E. German Makarov to go with your piece of the Berlin Wall! These pistols were put into police service after the wall fell. Eventually they were sold as surplus and the LSA markings crossed out.

IMG_2458_zpsgdnxfvl6.jpg

IMG_2461_zpsd88wfy3n.jpg

Man! That is extremely nice! It looks pretty mint!

I've heard that the German Maks are the most highly sought-after of the Makarovs, at least, if you're wanting one to shoot (the Norincos may be worth a bit more as collector pieces, but probably aren't finished as nicely as the German ones).

How long have you had yours? How did you come across it?

I went to a different range tonight...one that goes out to 75 feet...and was a bit disappointed to find that the point of impact didn't shift downward to line up with point of aim as I moved the target farther out, as I'd hoped it would.

Yesterday (first time I shot the Mak), I was at a range that had a maximum distance of about 25 feet. At that distance, the Mak was grouping about 2.5" high. I had hoped that POI would shift down at a greater distance. It didn't. On the contrary, POI got HIGHER as I moved the target out to 30, 35, 45, 50 feet. After I discovered this, I moved the target closer to determine at what range POI matched POA. Disappointingly, that point was about 10 feet.

Of course, this wouldn't be an issue in a defensive situation, or, even plinking with 2-liters or jugs or steel targets. But I don't have a range where I can go plinking - my only shooting is done at paper, so, I like to see how tight I can get my groupings as I increase distance from 25 up to 75 feet. That's a problem when the gun's shooting so high that when I aim at the bullseye, the rounds are going so high that they aren't even hitting the paper.

Could I compensate by moving POA down? Yeah, sure, but for shooting groups I need a bullseye to get a consistent lock on for every shot.

Any suggestions? Only solution I can think of would be to lower the rear sight or raise the front post - no simple task with these military-style sights.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Any suggestions? Only solution I can think of would be to lower the rear sight or raise the front post - no simple task with these military-style sights.

If you can find a higher velocity load, due to a lighter bullet or stouter loading you could try that. Might be all you need. I can move vertical impact around quite a bit with my Glock 40's, and the higher velocity rounds usually shoot lower. I think it is because the bullet exits the barrel a smidge earlier in the weapons recoil cycle.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

If you can find a higher velocity load, due to a lighter bullet or stouter loading you could try that. Might be all you need. I can move vertical impact around quite a bit with my Glock 40's, and the higher velocity rounds usually shoot lower. I think it is because the bullet exits the barrel a smidge earlier in the weapons recoil cycle.

Yeah, I only shoot the cheap stuff. Tula, Brown Bear, etc. is all this gun will likely ever see. Same with my other guns. I don't have time to reload, so...

Just so happens that Wal-Mart carries the Federal aluminum case stuff for really good prices in 9mm, .40 & .45, and it is not bad ammo at all. Too bad they don't have 9x18mm.

Thinking more and more about filing the rear sight down.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8

IMG_2458_zpsgdnxfvl6.jpg

IMG_2461_zpsd88wfy3n.jpg

Man! That is extremely nice! It looks pretty mint!

I've heard that the German Maks are the most highly sought-after of the Makarovs, at least, if you're wanting one to shoot (the Norincos may be worth a bit more as collector pieces, but probably aren't finished as nicely as the German ones).

How long have you had yours? How did you come across it?

I found this one on Gunbroker back in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back