I'm looking for an alarm to add to my 2016 Honda CR-V, any suggestions of what is good?

Hi everyone. My 2016 Honda CR-V EX has a factory alarm, and a key-fob access that I keep in a mu-metal box when not in use, and a Honda remote start. Also I added a Yellow steering-wheel club that show up nice with my dark red ( copper-sunset-pearl ) vehicle.

But I would like to add an alarm that works with the vehicles CANbus and uses the existing drivers controls to enter a code by operating them in a specific sequence before the vehicle can be started and moved.

I would also like it to have an anti-car-jacking built into it that trips if a door is opened but allows it to be driven for a short distance and then safely comes to a stop and shuts off the engine and sounds the horns.

I want it to have a valet mode that limits power and top speed so a kid valet can not lay tire or move it too fast, and that it can be left in valet for several days if it is in a shop for repairs.

I do not want any tracking of location that requires a monthly air access fee be paid.

And I keep my vehicles for a very long time, so it should be reliable to work for many years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now I have an e-mail correspondence going on with a Russian alarm company called IGLA that makes a CANbus alarm system.

Viper seams to be hard to correspond to. And I found a company called Pro-Gard SafeStop that also seams to be hard to correspond to via e-mail, and does not seam to have a working phone number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So does anyone have any suggestions as to a company that makes an alarm that will provide the features I am looking for?

If so what company? And if you know it, what model of alarm?

Thanks in advance.

Dealers molest cars with SWDS/KARR alarms and in this day and age people ignore alarms.

all someone needs is to capture the coding scheme the keyless system uses and they have access.

to steer back on topic, I’d use one of the DEI brands(Clifford/Python/Viper) with an iDatalink interface, installed by a competent 12V installer. Bonus points if the installer uses military splices instead of Scotch-Lock T-taps and butt splices. compustar also makes decent alarms from what I read. Unfortunately they don’t meet one of the requirements(keypad).

DEI (Viper and most other alarms) is pretty much going to own the market here in North America, they're the biggest and they know it. You're not going to get much response from them because, well, they don't care. They sell what they sell and develop what they develop, they're not going to want to develop something like you're describing, which frankly, sounds a mess. You're looking at a totally custom job. Your best bet is to look for someone that is deep into developing CANBus systems and go from there. An interface would have to be designed and programmed, probably with something like an Arduino or something else running the code.

It all sounds horribly complicated. I get protecting a vehicle, but that CRV isn't made out of gold and if someone wants it, they're either going to steal it anyways, or they'll just destroy it trying.

Buy a good insurance policy and be done with it.

I think some of the CANbus systems that use the existing controls to enter the disable before drive code are programed by the installer when initially put in, as to what control(s) and how many activations. It other words it is a universal design that the installer customizes to the vehicle by teaching it what controls to use as the inputs. There are a few YouTube videos of some of these in use.

Seems overly complicated for a run-of-the-mill vehicle. A tow truck will steal any vehicle, I’d save your money or get a dash cam instead if you are worried about valets.

I'd guess the odds that you render your own vehicle undrivable or damaged due to an aftermarket system are far greater than the car actually getting stolen in a way that such a system would even protect against (not to mention electronic gremlins that you're opening the door to - no way I'd consider modding a six-year-old Honda in that type of way).
Any of the proposed options that aren't from the factory are directly at odds with future reliability and durability.
If you have full coverage insurance and don't leave the keys in it, I'd say you're doing all you need to do. Anything else is unnecessary (and I don't think these are particularly big tickets for theft, at least not like '90s Civics and the like).

I want it to have a valet mode that limits power and top speed so a kid valet can not lay tire or move it too fast, and that it can be left in valet for several days if it is in a shop for repairs.

I would love to know what restaurant you frequent in Pittsburgh with a valet looking to "lay tire" in a customer's CR-V. Is it King's or Eat 'n Park?

I would love to know what restaurant you frequent in Pittsburgh with a valet looking to "lay tire" in a customer's CR-V. Is it King's or Eat 'n Park?
Valets are at other places like parking garages for hospitals. And some of them can be very abusive. Once the vehicle is out of the owners sight, they can do what ever they want.

Back