I'm having trouble with my dipstick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me, or do others have trouble reading their dipsticks? On my '95 Grand Marquis and my Crown Vic before it I just can't get a clean reading on the stick no matter what I do. There is no such thing as a clean straight across line--there is always oil smeared all up the stick unless there is so little oil that it doesn't even reach the bottom of the stick, which has happened when I'm filling up after a change. I try wiping it, inserting it different ways, etc., but never a clear read, even if I let it sit overnight or even a week. Rather frustrating, but I have managed to get a general sense of how much is in there based on how much smearing there is on the stick. The sticks on these 4.6 engines are rather long and very flexible, and mine have always had several waves in them rather than being very straight. I get the feeling that a stiffer stick would give a better reading, but I don't know if one would then make it down the tube.

I have the same problem on our 1996 Grand Marquis. It is the only complaint I have on the car; basically, all the dipstick show is, yes, there is oil in the engine. How much? That is anyone's guess. On our Merc we typically add about 1 quart between changes...this is just an estimate from the dipstick. So far it has 260,000 miles, and runs strong!

Quote:
It is the only complaint I have on the car; basically, all the dipstick show is, yes, there is oil in the engine. How much? That is anyone's guess.

I'm glad it's not just me, but it sure would be nice to be able to get a real reading.

Have heard this complaint a lot about panthers.

Best solution I have found is to lay it on a paper towel. Yes the "upper smudges" also start seeping but where it seeps more vigorously is where the real oil slick starts. Beware it spreads "up" as well as out.

You would think that by now automotive engineers would have solved the problem of how to make a dipstick work!

Does the dipstick have a slight twist at the end? That seems to prevent the oil from flowing off the end. The thin dipsticks that have to go around a bend due to the dipstick location and oil pan design are always going to be annoying, but if designed properly, they can be less annoying.

I've found that checking the oil level on a cold engine is easier as well... just my opinion though, and it clearly doesn't work for your cars. I know most say to check it hot, but the cold reading should be close enough. A good cold reading is probably better than guessing at a hot reading.

No dipstick design will fix the annoyance of checking the level the first few times after an oil change when it is almost perfectly clear. Royal Purple fans don't have to worry about this issue.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Be glad you don't own a BMW that doesn't even have a dipstick.

Engine or trans? Very sad if it is the engine!

I read an article somewhere that predicted the end of dipsticks to be replaced by oil level gauges of some sort. I suspect those BMWs must have such a thing.

On a 2005 QR25DE the dipstick is the WRONG dipstick right from Nissan factory, one fills to the bend in dipstick rather than full fill line or one will be .5 litres short on the 4.1 litre required fill on an OCI.

Imagine how upset I was when I brought home my new X-trail and found it 3/8" overfilled. I immediately drained oil and lowered the oil fill line to the full mark, drove the new vehicle awhile and then called Nissan, they checked every X-trail oil level on the lot, all of them 3/8" over filled to the bend, they then called Nissan tech and learned that the required 4.1 litres will go to the bend in dipstick far above the full fill line, this bend is to stop oil from climbing oil check tube. I thought I was overfilled, adjusted and was underfilled, wonderfull world of Nissan.

The dipstick on my X-trail is a tough read too, I actually go more my the intial read of dipstick immediately after pulling the diptick without the wipe, re-insert and check method.

People have told me to file the shiny silver dipstick, take the extreme high shean off the dipstick so the oil will stick and show better, have never done it but if the high shean is a problem on the dipstick then that might work.

My son's Olds 3.1 has a dark graphite dipstick with cross hatches and holes at every 250 mil point over add line, if the oil on dipstick does not reach a hole then the hole is open without oil film over hole, one gets a great indication of oil level real quick, very easy read on the graphite coloured cross hatches too. I might find a dipstick like that, mark the fill line on it after an exact 4.1 litre Oil Change and use such a dipstick instead, another alternative too I guess is to find another dipstick that might read better.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Be glad you don't own a BMW that doesn't even have a dipstick.

Engine or trans? Very sad if it is the engine!

Mercedes didn't have transmission dipstick for more than 10 years, they didn't have oil dipstick since model year 2005 but they still have dipstick tube, you need to buy "oil level measuring device" aka dipstick at dealer. You still can use oil extractor to do oil change via dipstick tube.

Yes, at least some of the new BMW's have no oil dipstick. They have a low oil warning light. The only way to know exactly how much oil is in it is to drain it out. When I found out about this I was incredulous. I used to drive BMW's back in the early and mid-eighties. Got too pricey for me. Now I think a Mustang is better anyway.

The BMW's have an oil level gauge that is accessible through the iDrive. I think it has 8 segments from low to full. I don't know if they represent the top quart like a real dipstick or the total level.

Besides the dead cold morning check, you could try and roughen up the end with coarse sandpaper so the readings are more evident there.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I read an article somewhere that predicted the end of dipsticks to be replaced by oil level gauges of some sort. I suspect those BMWs must have such a thing.

More lunacy from the car makers....

I can absolutely promise that this simple dip stick will be way more reliable and accurate than any stupid electronic gadget they can fit to the typical car...

All I can say is ....NO....heck no to the deletion of the dip stick!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back