I'm gonna go 25k between oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

AMSOIL used a lot of UOAs before recommending the 25,000 mile drain for diesels. You shouldn't have any problems, unless there is something mechanical.

There sure are alot of amsoil users on this site. 25k sounds good. I average 55-60k with hydrotex high film supreme 15w-40. With analysis of course. At that point my TBN is around 5, which is usually the lowest i will let it get. If you like amsoil hydrotex may be worth giving a try, i think anybody who uses it will be pleased.

"Cummins states that oil analysis is not an acceptable substitute for required oil changes, and neither is the use of synthetic oil. "

1sttruck - just curious where you got this info at?
dunno.gif
Is there a link to a webpage or some other source you can quote? Very interiesting. Seems odd, but I'm open to any discussion.

I found this after my above post.

http://www.cummins.dk/fileadmin/dokumenter/Pdf_filer/Cummins_Litteratur/Olie_3810340-04.htm

It does indicate that milage/hours are important, but it also discusses useage/load factors, and oil analysis. Seems Cummins wants to have their cake and eat it too.

Makes me wonder how they can claim that load/usage factors are preferable over oil analysis, when they probably used oil analysis AND teardown analysis to determine wear rates.

And read near the bottom, Apendix A, subsection 2, about where they say "Cummins Inc. does not recommend that oil analysis be used to determine maintenance intervals. Oil analysis only permits maintenance intervals to be estimated. Engines must be operated at the estimated interval for 800,000 to 1,100,000 km [500,00 to 700,000 mi] or 10,000 to 15,000 hours to determine if the estimated maintenance interval based on oil analysis was correct." Holy cow - just how long do they think an engine will last the AVERAGE guy? I know that OTR guys and gals put a lot of miles on, but even this seems like a LONG time to get an average wear rate by oil analysis. I'll be dead, and so might my kids, before MY truck sees that kind of milage!

You really need to read to whole document to get where they are coming from, but to sarcastically paraphrase the short story: "Change your oil and filter when we say so."

A newer Cummins FAQ for the 610 ft lb torque engine states that synthetic can be used after the first oil change, after the engine is broken in. Some of the older FAQs state that if you don't tow engine break in could extend out to 20k to 25k miles.

The typical oil analysis isn't fool proof as good UOAs have been posted for sludged engines. I think that lowering soot levels should be done before extending oil change intervals, where some of the bypass filters could be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back