IM Gasket Replacement '96 Sable Vulcan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IM gasket appears to be externally leaking on this 1996 Mercury Sable with the Vulcan engine (OHV 12-valve engine code U). Fel-Pro p/n MS95372 is ~ $16. The Victor kit (don't know p/n) is ~ $22. Any difference between the two? If not, I'll get the Fel-Pro gaskets. It comes with the upper, lower, and IACV gaskets. Was the original plastic and has been revised to metal encapsulated with x?

Now, I need tips on replacing this. I haven't replaced an intake manifold gasket prior to this coming Saturday's attempt. I don't have the torque specs either or are they on the manifold? Obviously, I don't have a factory service manual either. What kind of time frame should be expected? What tools will be needed? I have the standard mix of sockets, ratchets, and torque wrench. Coolant will be drained & refilled along with some other maintenance items at the same time.

Prior Thread: Maintenance Questions

Make sure it is the gaskets and not a hose or something else.

TCCA is good I go to the library for books sometimes. The autozone repair area might have the specs.
I have a lot of experience and would not do it without having a book. At least for the torque specs.

Last edited:
All the hoses are dry. They will be replaced anyway because I'm pretty sure they are original.

Maxima,

Thanks for the link. I'll see if they have any information to help.

What is a good alternative to the Pro Line RTV black silicone sealer & Pro Line Fel-Cobond quick-drying adhesive? The RTV black goes on the 4 lower corners where the ends of the block meet with the cylinder heads. The Fel-Cobond is to be applied sparingly in several places on the cylinder heads prior to mounting gasket & intake manifold after adhesive is set.

To be honest, the only intake gasket I ever put on a Vulcan was due to a broken camshaft. Never have had one leak. Just get some black RTV for the corners (head/block junction), with just a light, light coat of RTV on the gasket surface around all of the water passages. Some of the aftermarket gaskets come with sealant already around the passages, so RTV around them is not needed. The quick drying adhesive is just to keep the gasket from slipping while installing the manifold. Any spray tack/gasket adhesive will work fine on it.

Now, 3.8s, I was able to those gaskets in my sleep.

Well, it doesn't appear that it is the IM gasket but the fitting on the IM with a coolant hose connection. The picture is below (coolant hose has been removed from the fitting but still attached to the pipe). There is a hole at the bottom of this stub. What is the best way to fix this?

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/williabe/DSCN1137.jpg[/IMG]]IM fitting

BTW, the coolant bypass "recall" has not been performed on this car. One of the items in that kit is for an insert for the fitting that is now leaking. The kit (includes a few hoses as well) is $95 from the local Ford dealership. Was this really a recall or merely a TSB? I found Article #01-11-6, a copy of the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back