I’m at a loss with brake issues…

Did you see if that "valve" moves as shown in the video?

If all that checks out, you're left with booster or more bleeding. Some techs I know and trust say to bleed ABS they never bother to actuate the pump but just apply vacuum at each bleeder and pump the pedal.

I dunno, a lot of your symptoms sound to me like you still have air in the system. And I don't think it's a panacea here but I'd tap the calipers with a metal hammer to dislodge any stubborn bubbles. I think you said rubber but I don't see that doing much. But again, I don't think this will magically solve your problem.

You've also got nothing to lose with the gravel approach
I think you might by right about still having air in the system. I just watched a vid on YouTube where a guy with a GMC that had a pedal like mine. He had to bleed 7 times, cycle the ABS pump maybe 15-20 times until a GIANT bubble came flowing out of the right rear caliper. He finally got his pedal back to factory-new height but he went through a couple of gallons of brake fluid. I don’t mind buying 3-5 gallons of brake fluid if I need to as long as I can get the bubbles out

I think you might by right about still having air in the system. I just watched a vid on YouTube where a guy with a GMC that had a pedal like mine. He had to bleed 7 times, cycle the ABS pump maybe 15-20 times until a GIANT bubble came flowing out of the right rear caliper. He finally got his pedal back to factory-new height but he went through a couple of gallons of brake fluid. I don’t mind buying 3-5 gallons of brake fluid if I need to as long as I can get the bubbles out
If the brake fluid coming out is clean, why not filter and reuse?

I've had my ABS DSC hydro pump repaired on a BMW, as this is somewhat a common defect.

I too needed to not only do a normal brake bleed at all 4 calipers (using a Motive), but the ABS bleed done by the car's computer and my laptop. Some on the forum said the ABS bleed could be done by slamming on the brakes in rain or on gravel, but BMW says no that doesn't work.

So my job doesn't include the booster nor brake lines, but does include completely removing the ABS pump from the vehicle, leaving 6 lines exposed to air.

I wonder, is there any chance, that despite all the effort, there is still air in the system? I understand this is frustrating, I had concerns if the car would feel any differently. Well, that $249 repair to the pump outlasted the 5 year warranty that came with it, it's now 6.5 years going on 7.

On the BMW, I've stayed away from the clutch. Seen online where people include it in the bleed, and can't get the pedal back to how it was before....

my random .02 :)

Back