I'm a Charles Bronson fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Elam was very underrated. He played that part perfectly.

All the actors and the actress played their parts well. That movie is so great because of the lack of dialogue. The soundtrack is great. The ending is spectacular.

One of my all time favorites in there was Jason Robards. Check out a movie called The Ballad of Cable Houge. Its an off beat , western , comedy love story with a young Stella Stevens , Robards and English actor David Warner . She alone is worth the time watching. :)

Not long ago saw a film with Walter Brennan and Gary Cooper called "The Westerner!" An old black and white film with a very young and slim (even funny) Walter Brennan. That was quite a surprise and enjoyable film from way way back.... LOL Yes Slim Pickens too is everywhere if you like the older movies like I do. Too me, after growing up watching stuff from the early 60s all the way till now, Hollywood does not even exist anymore. They can't even make up anything new. Its all comic books or spy stunt films. They don't even seem to be able to make comedies anymore. I know, its not for us old foggies....

Bronson was married to Jill Ireland who was a real looker back in those days. They starred together in a number of films. She died of cancer way too soon.

Not to hijack this thread but since I mentioned Slim Pickens, this is my favorite movie scene with him. I believe Bob Dylan, who also stars in the film, wrote this song for this scene.

A story I read about Charles Bronson:

“I was working out in a popular gym in Hollywood and I happened to notice Charles Bronson working out there. He was curling a 70 pound dumbbell in each arm, which is not impossible, but he was doing it like it was air, which was impressive. (Several young punks were watching him out of the corner of their eye, trying to match him, and failing.) I didn’t want to bother him but when he was at a break point I complimented him on his workout regime and he mentioned that he kept a membership in this gym for when he was visiting Hollywood and that this was his ‘maintenance workout.’

When I got home I looked up his birthday to find out his age. He was 71 at the time.”

So definitely a strong man. Any number of stories have mentioned how he and other Hollywood stars of the time would just rip out pushups between scenes and takes to keep themselves going."

He did a lot of his own stunts and one of his most successful films was "Hard Times" with James Coburn. He was a street fighter that was bet on. At 53, he looked pretty tough in that one.
I just recently read an article in which Billy Crystal was quoted as saying that Charles Bronson had been offered the part of Curly in the movie City Slickers. When Bronson read the script and found out he dies at the end, he turned it down and declared that his part never died in a movie and he wasn't going to die in this one! Jack Palance got the role and nailed it. I've seen a number of Bronson movies but really couldn't say if he lived through all of them or not.

I just recently read an article in which Billy Crystal was quoted as saying that Charles Bronson had been offered the part of Curly in the movie City Slickers. When Bronson read the script and found out he dies at the end, he turned it down and declared that his part never died in a movie and he wasn't going to die in this one! Jack Palance got the role and nailed it. I've seen a number of Bronson movies but really couldn't say if he lived through all of them or not.
He died in the Magnificant Seven at the end. That is the only one I can think of?

For sure TV crowded "the movies" for attention and dollars but the household record/playback machines really applied the stranglehold.
The importance of "the silver screen" diminished as did the cash flow.

Hey, occasionally I try to be diplomatic but here I prefer to be negative. Some older movie actors indeed had talent but even the greats were hired to play the same thing over and over.
Seriously, how could you tell they were any good? Cary Grant was almost the same character in every flick, for example.
They were marketed to our ancestors (shoved down their throats if you like). They WERE going to go to the movies.

Truly, think of how mediocre so many TV shows were / are.

Today, with fewer screens and shorter engagements, the producers have to sharpen their "audience focus". Bang, you get drug addict looking guys appealing to high school girls who grew up on television.

It ain't coming back either.

For sure TV crowded "the movies" for attention and dollars but the household record/playback machines really applied the stranglehold.
The importance of "the silver screen" diminished as did the cash flow.

Hey, occasionally I try to be diplomatic but here I prefer to be negative. Some older movie actors indeed had talent but even the greats were hired to play the same thing over and over.
Seriously, how could you tell they were any good? Cary Grant was almost the same character in every flick, for example.
They were marketed to our ancestors (shoved down their throats if you like). They WERE going to go to the movies.

Truly, think of how mediocre so many TV shows were / are.

Today, with fewer screens and shorter engagements, the producers have to sharpen their "audience focus". Bang, you get drug addict looking guys appealing to high school girls who grew up on television.

It ain't coming back either.
Yeah, Its funny , we tried to watch on Retro Tv some of the old shows we loved as kids and its just NO WAY. They were really so stupid and wacked out (especially the 60s flower power days) that they don't age well. Get Smart (one of my favs as a teen) can't watch. Another one so bad its unreal Hogan's Heroes.... etc... One of the worse of all times Laugh In. I remember as kids we thought that stuff was so great and funny. Not so much today.

When Bronson read the script and found out he dies at the end, he turned it down and declared that his part never died in a movie and he wasn't going to die in this one! Jack Palance got the role and nailed it. I've seen a number of Bronson movies but really couldn't say if he lived through all of them or not.

He died in The Mechanic. He got his revenge though

He died in The Mechanic. He got his revenge though
I forgot The Mechanic! I have that in my DvD collection. One of my favorites of his that is not a western.
There is a character actor named Paul Koslo who Bronson routinely killed in several of his "bad" later movies.
The guy was the age and friend with several of Bronson's kids. He said that seemed to piss him off and Charlie
gave him hell on earth on the first film and treated him like crap. Later he found out it was Bronson who requested
he play the parts he was getting! LOL. He said Bronson was an extremely introverted man and was 100% all business
at work. He also only socialized with his family. Paul Koslo has a bunch of Bronson stories across the internet.

25 missions in the most advanced bomber (not including the Horton 229) of WWII. Today we have snowflake actors that “didn’t pull the trigger”.

My wife has a Charles Bronson story.
She went to high school at Marymount (Catholic all girls school) in an exclusive area in LA. Charles lived nearby. His young son Tony used to hang out with the girls in the area. Pretty much good influences on each other.
Wife had an off campus pass when she wasn't in class. Drove off campus with her best friend for a smoke break (the school had no smoking rules in effect) and happened to park in front of Charles house. He came out and told them to move the car off the street and park on his estate. Gave them permission to do it anytime the place wasn't locked down. That way they couldn't be busted by any of the school personnel that happened by.

Tony was around 12 years old with a lot of free time and the girls looked out for him. He was a good kid and a nice guy that became part of the group. Probably why Charles did my wife and friend that favor.

Lol. It was '73-74 time frame, not too long after the Mansion killings, and around the time Ted Bundy was active in the area (near UCLA). My wife was grateful for the company to and from bus stops and such. Hanging around the 16 year old girls couldn't have hurt Tony's "street cred" but I don't think he looked at it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back