Ignition switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to start today, and the key turned past where it usually stops and the ignition felt very loose; would not start or turn back to turn off accessory lights etc. Did something in the ignition switch break off? Estimate for repair? Thank you!

My car, the 97 Crown Vic; when I turned the key, the lights came on but it felt loose and did not start the car. I rotated back and it did not turn the lights back off. It will not turn without the key, the key is not stuck in it, and it has to be in original position for the key to be removed. There is much more play in rotating. The more internet research I'm doing, the more it sounds like key cylinder.

here is what you do first disconnect the battery unscrew the plastic shroud around the steering column by unscrewing the screws at the bottom after all the screws are out force the plastic shroud apart and remove it, from the bottom, on the bottom of the lock cylinder casing there will be a push pin retainer this is what is used to hold the lock cylinder in place, it looks like a nail with the top cut off, turn the ignition toward the on position while holding pressure on the pin with an awl or something like that, at a certain point you will feel the pin push in and simply pull the ignition cylinder out holding the key as a puller..You wont need a lot of pressure
Once the ign cylinder comes out see if it looks like it is broken..Look at the tip if it is broken you will have to fish the broken part out it will be about a 1/2 in piece,,Then go to an auto parts store or ford and buy the ignition cylinder put it in the same way it came out and put it all back together...
If the column is broken that will be more compicated..Also if it is a transponder unit you will need to get the cylinder keyed to your key by a locksmith or sometimes the ford dealer.
This is an easy job i have done many of them.. (good friend is a locksmith) he said it should cost about $25.00 for the part depending where you get it..He charges $180.00 to do the job with parts and labor..Here in NJ it is more expensive
Its pretty easy let me know what happened you can pm me anytime

My dad replaced the ignition switch in his Windstar recently and it was only $30. The part the key goes into (Ignition Key Cylinder) is separate from the actual switch. Depending on what broke it could be cheap to fix.

Steve

Just a quick note, you don't even have to remove the shroud to pull the lock cylinder. There is a hole in the shroud under the cylinder that you can insert a pick to press in the release when the key is in the "Run" position. Press the release and the cylinder slides out so you can check it.

Last edited:
you are absolutely correct on most of them there are the hole in the shroud but if you are not used to doing those its hard to get something in there and actually line it up...
But i should have mentioned that..

Old keys sometimes used a simple resistor in them [as the security device].
You could wire a matching resistor in the circuit to use a standard key, for about $0.15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back