If you have one car from the 60's, what would it be?

65 4-4-2, one owner survivor. All original
1702263040288.jpg

68 Ghetto ride, mostly original
68 side.jpg

I lean towards the ‘63 - a fuelie, and while the roadster is awesome, the split window coupe is iconic.
There are like 2 people left who understand the Rochester Mechanical FI. They are problematic. The 63 and 64 used drum brakes.
Beautiful cars. A 64 Roadster, 327 wide ratio Muncie is a really nice driver.

The Split Window defines the word classic. Here's my BIL's 62 Fuelie; he drove my 68 on a visit here and got the bug. This is a big bucks, 15+ year resto. Mark has the patience of Job. I gave him my 68 a few years back and asked him to finish the interior.
62 Fuelie Before.jpeg

62 Fuelie Show 1.jpeg

In the early seventies one of my friends had a 68 Camaro convertible with the 327 with 650 CFM carb and manual four on the floor, with big slick back tires on it. That thing was a blast to drive. You could leave about a 6-in gap where rubber wasn't being laid down when you shifted between first and second.

Many people think that the 69 Camaro was the car to get but they added about 500 lb to the frame in 69 to make the frame have less flex. So they had to get rid of the 327 and only offered the 350 and up. I like the 68

Whatever the most valuable one for me to sell and buy/build something with a real suspension and modern brakes that would actually be enjoyable for me to drive.

In the early seventies one of my friends had a 68 Camaro convertible with the 327 with 650 CFM carb and manual four on the floor, with big slick back tires on it. That thing was a blast to drive. You could leave about a 6-in gap with a rubber wasn't being laid down when you shifted between first and second.

Many people think that the 69 Camaro was the car to get but they added about 500 lb to the frame and 69 to make the frame have less flex. So they had to get rid of the 327 and only offered the 350 and up.

The 327 was a real screamer, I think it had 202 power pack heads, and a four bolt Main with an aluminum block. I think there were not many aluminum block versions made, and I think it was a special order from the factory when new. The whole car was a lightweight vehicle with an engine that screamed. And it got pretty decent gas mileage too.

I had a relative who worked on cars for a living and he had a GTO that he had souped up. He took me for a ride in it one day when I was walking home from school and he opened that thing up. I still remember the feeling of the g-forces causing me to move into the upright of the seat back behind me. Probably the most g-forces I ever felt in my life. One thing about those 60 cars is that they were built rugged enough to do a lot of mods to and not have them blow up. BTW, the street that we were going up was right where another school had just let out and there were dozens and dozens of kids walking up that hill on the sidewalk. He picked me out of the crowd and offered me the ride up the hill. Imagine doing that in a school zone today. They didn't even have school zones back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
There are like 2 people left who understand the Rochester Mechanical FI. They are problematic. The 63 and 64 used drum brakes.
Beautiful cars. A 64 Roadster, 327 wide ratio Muncie is a really nice driver.

The Split Window defines the word classic. Here's my BIL's 62 Fuelie; he drove my 68 on a visit here and got the bug. This is a big bucks, 15+ year resto. Mark has the patience of Job. I gave him my 68 a few years back and asked him to finish the interior.

View attachment 192467

Funny, I know that car (but not your BIL). And I love it; one of my favorite American cars ever if not favorite.

It is local here and I’ve seen it both on the road and at that show, a casual local affair. We’ve shown cars there, too (my Dad/brother’s).

Last edited:
Kind of on the edge of the 60s (I suppose I can fudge the date a little), but a Mercedes-Benz C111. I saw one at the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA. Apparently it was in drivable condition and they actually took it in LA traffic about a month after our visit. It's been taken out on the street before our visit. I think it might be legal under certain laws that allow older cars without federal certification on roads if their miles driven are limited.

13-8.jpg

This is what I like, already have it I suppose. Maybe a '67 Coronet with a hemi 4 speed would be good too.

Back