If you could buy a somewhat entertaining car what would you pick

If I lived in a colder climate, I think I would NOT daily-drive an MT car. I find they almost ALL have to be babied, until they get to operating temp. Sometimes it takes a fair amount of time to actually get to full operating temp (of course... for the ambient temp and for the load you are putting on the gearbox).
Why not? I never had any issues shifting a MT during the winter. I also never ”babied” my manuals. Start the car, put my seatbelt on, and go.

Ok - a "Fun" car......how about a Hearse? Yeah a 1996 Krystal Cadillac Fleetwood Hearse!
This baby here is $3,500 with only 33,000 miles on her! I would take the $2,500 that I have left over and put a lift kit on it with some big ole' tires!!!
1GEFH90P9TR705899_img_01.jpg

Cadillac Krystal HearseHub (hearsecentral.com)

If I lived in a colder climate, I think I would NOT daily-drive an MT car. I find they almost ALL have to be babied, until they get to operating temp. Sometimes it takes a fair amount of time to actually get to full operating temp (of course... for the ambient temp and for the load you are putting on the gearbox).

LubeFiner: said:
Why not? I never had any issues shifting a MT during the winter. I also never ”babied” my manuals. Start the car, put my seatbelt on, and go.

I guess YMMV. Personally, I have never driven an MT when cold that does not appreciably differ by way of smooth operation of the synchromesh from when it is warm. Unless you are an indiscriminate downshifter - it is when it is cold that the damage to dog-teeth of the synchro's occur.

LubeFiner: said:

I guess YMMV. Personally, I have never driven an MT when cold that does not appreciably differ by way of smooth operation of the synchromesh from when it is warm. Unless you are an indiscriminate downshifter - it is when it is cold that the damage to dog-teeth of the synchro's occur.
Interesting. Out of the 7 manuals I’ve owned, only one mt ever had synchro issues, a 1983 Subaru 4 sp manual that I purchased for my first mt vehicle. The kicker is it already had issues with the synchros. Other than that one vehicle, I never had issues with a mt.

Owned a 2010 Mini Cooper S for a couple years. It was a fun car to drive, there is no doubt about that. Would not want to get hit in one of those unless it was a smartcar.

Owned a 2010 Mini Cooper S for a couple years. It was a fun car to drive, there is no doubt about that. Would not want to get hit in one of those unless it was a smartcar.
I guess I'm a bit of a fatalist, the largest car in my garage is the 2 Series.

I would get a Mercury Marauder. I've seen several decent examples in the 6k range. They're a comfortable car and the 4v V8 has a nice growl with a decent exhaust system. The performance is pretty disappointing compared to modern cars but comfort and sound makes up for it.

I would get a Mercury Marauder. I've seen several decent examples in the 6k range. They're a comfortable car and the 4v V8 has a nice growl with a decent exhaust system. The performance is pretty disappointing compared to modern cars but comfort and sound makes up for it.

I was thinking late 90s impala ss, then drop a more modern SBC in with tons more power.

My choice would be a 944 Porsche. 2.5 L motor with 5 speed and sunroof. Next choice would be a 1966 Corvair Corsa with the 140hp motor.

^^^^60’s Corvair, slant 6 Dart or Valiant, Ford Falcon, Pontiac LeMans/Tempest, etc. Basically any 60’s midsize in 2 door or convertible, or even a wagon would be a fun project.

Probably too "domestic-ish" and small for you but I like the idea of a late 80's thru '04 Mustang GT as a cheap fun car.

I hate to say it, but I would enjoy a Miata.

Could I fit in one? Well that's a different question .
I'm 6'3 and test drive a Miata once. It was fun. They're not fast but they're so small they feel fast. But I could barely get in it, my legs were all shoved into the door panel and console, and I could barely get out of it. I felt awkward!

Back