If VPN Ads Were Honest

Great summary, I had a thread on this topic a while back and covered most of this, but it is nice to see it in a video format (y)

Reactions: JC1
VPN services are a good way to put a honey pot out there to steal traffic.

As with spark plug purchasing, if you use a reputable provider, there are no issues.

A unfortunate byproduct of recent internet phenomena is that "people want stuff for free"; I'll pay, and do, for secured services I value

^^ Agree, VPN is a business and like any business there is bad, good and best.
Same goes for the "free" android system, "free" gmail, "free" "free" free /// nothing is free you are exchanging your personal information for "free" stuff.
Family member of mine, genus, makes a lot of money packaging all the "free" information people give away for free "stuff" packaged up in tidy little packages like mortgages, then they get auctioned off to the highest bidders by his company. HUGE international company.

What drives me nuts most of all is people pay their internet provider a lot of money for a data service and without a VPN, that company, like ATT, Spectrum/Charter, ya ya da da ... sells your internet data to 3rd parties so they can advertise to you.

This is only for the people discounting VPNs as a waste of money except their own.

Your internet data company makes money selling your data on your family data activities for advertising and whatever else we dont know about and selling you an overpriced service. A VPN stops that as well.

Last edited:
Your internet data company makes money selling your data on your family data activities for advertising and whatever else we dont know about and selling you an overpriced service. A VPN stops that as well.

The VPN company may as well, as noted in the video. As I detailed in the previous thread, all you are doing is moving the egress point of the traffic.

The VPN company may as well, as noted in the video. As I detailed in the previous thread, all you are doing is moving the egress point of the traffic.
Agree, they may but they also may not.
I just dont agree with posts painting a broad brush of dishonesty in any industry.
Kind of like buying a car. The dealer may rip off old ladies (or men) or they may not.
But isnt that for anything in life? Important to know what you are buying. There are more then a handful of good VPNs out there.
BTW TMobile sent me a new modem/router will update when time in the coming day.

Agree, they may but they also may not.
I just dont agree with posts painting a broad brush of dishonesty in any industry.

Right, but you just did that with the ISP industry 🤷‍♂️

I know my ISP doesn't do that (per our previous exchanges) but I do know Cogeco used to be big on watching what people were transferring and then people would get letters from Cogeco on behalf of the RIAA or Paramount/Sony....etc because you'd been downloading a movie or song. Encryption on torrent clients and private trackers were very effective in getting around that, VPN's now work if you can't do the private tracker thing and you don't mind the bandwidth hit.

Things will get even more interesting once all DNS traffic is encrypted :)

Right, but you just did that with the ISP industry 🤷‍♂️

I know my ISP doesn't do that (per our previous exchanges) but I do know Cogeco used to be big on watching what people were transferring and then people would get letters from Cogeco on behalf of the RIAA or Paramount/Sony....etc because you'd been downloading a movie or song. Encryption on torrent clients and private trackers were very effective in getting around that, VPN's now work if you can't do the private tracker thing and you don't mind the bandwidth hit.

Things will get even more interesting once all DNS traffic is encrypted :)
For what it’s worth this forum is lucky to have you and one of two others.
Your expertise and advice on the Internet of things has been very welcome and appreciated.
Heck even my wife knows your name now. I’m just an amateur (hobby?) interested and always have been in the Internet of things.
I always learn something new when you answer one of my questions.
I posted in the electronics section, my last update on the T-Mobile home Internet. I’m giving it one last go around to see if they fix the 5G issues at my local tower. I know sooner or later it will be but since I don’t know how much later I’ll give them a week or two and then go back to spectrum for a year.
From what I understand my issue with the tower has now been escalated so we will see.

Last edited:
The only thing I really care, is for the VPN to not sell me out to Hollywood when I do bit torrent. Also when I can watch foreign contents without region licensing that they are locked into. Everything else is just loads of BS.

The only thing I really care, is for the VPN to not sell me out to Hollywood when I do bit torrent. Also when I can watch foreign contents without region licensing that they are locked into. Everything else is just loads of BS.
For me its I hate my past internet provider so much, I wanted to deny them being able to make money off my information. Not only that. at the time, some (about) 3++ years ago I got as lifetime subscription for less then $100 (might have been even $50) Im pretty sure its a well respected company though based in Australia I wish it wasnt but since I am not really "hiding" anything it doesnt matter.

I use VPNsecure.me been great and I think "lifetime is measured in years which = about 20 years. The amount of servers around the world is insane but I just stick to east coast servers and early will keep up with a 100 Mbps speed.

Membership Information
Days Used...
1236 - 7300

Im sure the rich and famous use something more expensive or not or something like the new protonmail.com or the likes.
Me? I just like shopping and stuff and not seeing ads based on what I was shopping for, for the next six months. Heck even around Christmas, it has become so bad that ads that I know my wife was shopping for gifts for me would show up and I her! Come on already! Freaking Spectrum and all the others *L*
VPNsecure .me does prevent that.

Last edited:
For me its I hate my past internet provider so much, I wanted to deny them being able to make money off my information. Not only that. at the time, some (about) 3++ years ago I got as lifetime subscription for less then $100 (might have been even $50) Im pretty sure its a well respected company though based in Australia I wish it wasnt but since I am not really "hiding" anything it doesnt matter.

I use VPNsecure.me been great and I think "lifetime is measured in years which = about 20 years. The amount of servers around the world is insane but I just stick to east coast servers and early will keep up with a 100 Mbps speed.

Membership Information
Days Used...
1236 - 7300

Im sure the rich and famous use something more expensive or not or something like the new protonmail.com or the likes.
Me? I just like shopping and stuff and not seeing ads based on what I was shopping for, for the next six months. Heck even around Christmas, it has become so bad that ads that I know my wife was shopping for gifts for me would show up and I her! Come on already! Freaking Spectrum and all the others *L*
VPNsecure .me does prevent that.

I block almost all advertising content at the DNS level with CIRA's DNS service. I historically have used Cisco's Umbrella service (OpenDNS) but I find CIRA is significantly better at blocking ads and its also Canadian, which for me is a plus.

Unless they are uber techie, most extremely wealthy just use what "works", so like Office 365 and an Enterprise ISP.

I block almost all advertising content at the DNS level with CIRA's DNS service. I historically have used Cisco's Umbrella service (OpenDNS) but I find CIRA is significantly better at blocking ads and its also Canadian, which for me is a plus.

Unless they are uber techie, most extremely wealthy just use what "works", so like Office 365 and an Enterprise ISP.
I didn't even know CIRA offered DNS service. Thanks! I've been happy w/ OpenDNS for many years, too, but will take a good look at this and maybe kick the tires a bit.

I didn't even know CIRA offered DNS service. Thanks! I've been happy w/ OpenDNS for many years, too, but will take a good look at this and maybe kick the tires a bit.

I made a thread on their free service a while back but you probably just missed it. We pay for the annual subscription for their Enterprise service through work (it's only $100 IIRC) and so I get to use that at home too, which is fantastic.

Back