Idling vs shutting off - effect on engine wear?

Timely thread. I’ve had a 2012 Versa since new. Just got a crossing guard job where it’s tempting to allow a 90 minute idle to jump in and stay warm instead of start/restart. I know, it’s just a POS Versa but I wonder if it’s harmful. Why do I even worry about this s…t?? 86 K by the way.
When I was a kid my crossing guard had a carbureted Pontiac Safari station wagon with the wood grain etc. She drove it until the gas tank rusted out and traded it in on a boring Grand Am.

She lived two blocks from her duty station. She didn't idle the car but it did get a lot of cold starts and short trips. I say, you do you with your Versa. But on the flipside, couldn't you get some amazing 3/4 length wool coat, and be an example to the kids, braving the elements? My crossing guard was pretty into it, shopping at the cop-only stores for bright blaze-orange raincoats etc.

When I was a kid my crossing guard had a carbureted Pontiac Safari station wagon with the wood grain etc. She drove it until the gas tank rusted out and traded it in on a boring Grand Am.

She lived two blocks from her duty station. She didn't idle the car but it did get a lot of cold starts and short trips. I say, you do you with your Versa. But on the flipside, couldn't you get some amazing 3/4 length wool coat, and be an example to the kids, braving the elements? My crossing guard was pretty into it, shopping at the cop-only stores for bright blaze-orange raincoats etc.
Agreed. I’m outside most if the time. Electric hand warmers and electric socks make it fairly comfortable. Too much attention to detail I guess..hence my membership.

That's what they're guided to do. UPS and FedEx as well.
As companies are profit-hungry that should tell you that shutting it off does in fact save fuel, and it works out in favor of savings even accounting for the higher maintenance costs incurred by doing this with vehicles with starters that weren't designed for constant stop-start use. The bean counters would have put a stop to it if it wasn't saving them money.

As companies are profit-hungry that should tell you that shutting it off does in fact save fuel, and it works out in favor of savings even accounting for the higher maintenance costs incurred by doing this with vehicles with starters that weren't designed for constant stop-start use. The bean counters would have put a stop to it if it wasn't saving them money.
Bingo bango

If it’s cold, I’d idle it for the heat. Once warm it’s warm, so fuel dilution shouldn’t be an issue either.

Do this and do a UOA if you’re worried. Id follow the severe service intervals though.

I assume most taxi drivers in Chicago and NYC do the above.

I once watch a mail carrier:
  1. Stop and shut off the truck.
  2. Walk up the driveway to the house mail box.
  3. Walk back to the truck.
  4. Start up the truck.
  5. Drive 20 feet.
  6. Repeat Steps 1 - 5 throughout the entire neighborhood.

Explains the rack of starter motors at the USPS VMF.

It's to prevent the trucks from getting stolen. Replacing a starter is cheaper than replacing a truck load of packages.

Does fuel ratio richen up at idle compared to in gear, or lean out, or ?

There's a line somewhere between idling all the time and idling none at all where one's ideal ratio is. Idle too much and it's excessive engine wear. Shut off too much and it's excessive start/stop wear. At what point does idling for x amount of time surpass the wear you caused by restarting the engine, or vice versa? You're not gonna find out. ;)

meth is a helluva drug
I live In Philly. The mob would would be ecstatic if delivery drivers left the trucks running for every stop in this city. There would be lots of thefts.

Once I jokingly commented to an amazon driver about locking the truck when they were delivering my package and she told me one of those trucks had just be stolen earlier that day. I couldn't find any news about it. I guess they didn't want to broadcast it and give people ideas.

It's to prevent the trucks from getting stolen. Replacing a starter is cheaper than replacing a truck load of packages.
Exactly, mail carriers in driving delivery (unless curbside) MUST shut the vehicle off, turn the wheel all the way to the right, set the brake and remove the key. Every single time.

As many of you know, I do rideshare for a living, and therefore drive 200+ miles a day. Lately it's been kinda slow so there are times when I'm just sitting in the car waiting for a fare and that got me wondering, from a purely engine longevity standpoint, which is worse, shutting the engine off and restarting it 20+ times a day or just letting it idle?

Obviously I know idling is worse for gas mileage, I'm just curious which causes more wear, especially in the freezing cold Northeast winter, where 20 minutes is enough time to cool the engine to less than 100°f.
You really need to start your own thread about your vehicle on here somewhere. Pictures, mileage, parts replaced, your maintenance plan, etc. Those threads are the best if they’re done right. It would be awesome!

As for stopping and shutting off the vehicle? My opinion, yes, I would shut it off if I’m going to be sitting there for twenty minutes. How many hours are you working in a day? 8? 10? If so, then you really will only be shutting that thing off 6-7 times a day, maybe less maybe more. Not the end of the world in terms of engine wear or the cost of a starter (and it may not really be damaging to either). What is damaging is the amount of money you’re wasting just sitting there, idling. Have you calculated that yet? Let’s say in a 5-6 day work week you’ve idled needlessly 8 hours...how much fuel is that? 6-8 gallons? More? Less? You could be spending $20-$25 bucks a week by doing that, maybe more. You could be blowing through $100-$150 bucks a month, maybe more. Personally I wouldn’t do that, but that’s just me.

Back