idiot friend doesn't know what dipstick is for

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who went out and bought a used '99 Harley Sportster (he had to fit in) from a "fly by night" car dealer back in June. Since buying this bike, he has asked me more questions than I can remember. I advised him against buying the bike because I thought it was over priced. I told him he could get a new one for about $1000 more. He kept telling me that it was like new because it only had 1,500 miles.

He decided he wanted to add a few items over the winter and asked me to help him. I told him I was gonna winterize my bike, so we could work on both bikes at the same time.

Anyway, he had no idea how to do anything, so I had to lead him every step of the way. We started with the oil change. He started to drain the oil and it ran out like syrup. I decided to pull the fill plug to let drain quicker, but it didn't help. I pulled out the flashlight and looked in the oil tank. To my surprise, it was almost empty. I told him that it was probably about half full (1.5 quarts), thinking that it may have leaked or burned the oil. He looked at me and said "I wonder if it's still the original oil from the factory". My immediate reaction was
shocked.gif
. I couldn't believe that he bought a 5 year old motorcycle, rode it for over 2,000 miles and never changed or checked the oil.

I wanted to take some of this oil for a UOA, but I didn't have anything clean to put it into.

I'm sure you know the old saying, "If you look around the table and can't tell who the dipstick is...."

What oil did you put back in?

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
I have a friend who went out and bought a used '99 Harley Sportster (he had to fit in)

Did he get one of the leather Harley rugged induhvidualist uniforms to go with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back