Identity Theft

Picking up the mail and saw a letter addressed to me (in MA) but from Ohio, looked somewhat legit but often are junk mail. Decided to open it.
Had my name/address with an official letter from State Of Ohio regarding Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Benefits which states..."According to our records, you applied for and received Pandemic Assistance..."

So I get on it and call Ohio and explain my situation and they had flagged my account as suspicious....not me...them. So I spent half a day contacting the bank, some gov. and credit agencies to confirm nothing else was compromised. All was ok and I did pay Equifax $5 a month to monitor my a/c and I can cancel at anytime but I figure do it for 5/6 months just to be safe.

I guess, thinking about all the transactions on the web and all the data breaches.

I have a friend with a very common last name. He has recieved no less than 5 letters like that!
Free money and nobody minding the store!

I thought the law was that government and businesses had to provide credit watch services like Equifax for a period of time at no cost to you?

Credit Karma will watch Equifax and TransUnion for you for free, Experian will watch Experian for free. And other will also. No need to pay,

I am glad my last name is not very common.

I got two of them during the pandemic.
Freeze your credit accounts at all 3 of the credit bureaus (free). Contact your homeowner's/renter's insurance agent and ask if they have an identity theft insurance rider that they can add to your insurance policy. State Farm does and it is incredibly cheap. I only pay $18/year for coverage on myself and my wife (actually everyone in my household).

I've had three letters so far that someone used my address to get subsidized telephone service. Maybe three letters. I bounced one "addressee unknown". The next one that came I opened, figured out the scam, tried to get the responsible party to investigate, they returned it without action. I wrote my local political representative, they wrote back about using some online tool to make a proper complaint.

Back