Idemitsu Oil

Thanks to the BITOG alerts I nabbed a couple of jugs of Idemitsu 0W-20 at a local AZ. After my discount it was cheaper than WM ST. My intention is to use it in my Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 which specs 0w-20. The oil only claims to be SN GF-5. No DEXOS or any manufacture's requirements. The Mits doesn't have any special specs and is pretty tolerant of oil types. Idemitsu is the FF for Subaru and Mazda and maybe Honda. I have limited experience those brands.

My question; so should I use it 'with confidence'?

Isn't this a question you should have asked before buying?

But yes, the oil is fine to use in that motor. The Mitsu. 3.0 was last used in what, 2005? That would be a SJ or SL rated conventiona oil requirement at best, so a quality synthetic SN oil is just fine.

I accidently dumped a jug of Idemitsu 0w20 into wifey's 2006 TSX, which calls for 5w30.
That little K24 was never so happy.
If I could find it for a good price, that just might be the only oil I would use.

My next oil change next March 2021 (or sooner) in my 2020 Subaru Forrester I'll be using Subaru (Idemitsu) 0W-20 that I purchased from dealership. Supposed to be a decent oil I've read.

I accidently dumped a jug of Idemitsu 0w20 into wifey's 2006 TSX, which calls for 5w30.
That little K24 was never so happy.
If I could find it for a good price, that just might be the only oil I would use.
Without a sample for analysis no one can be happy or sad.
I, personally, would not be happy using a thinner oil in any engine. Recommended or slightly thicker.

I think it is a very average oil that is being marketed as a premium product since Idemitsu has some OEM experience. The oil does not meet Dexos standards and the few UOA's I have seen suggest that it is prone to shearing.

I think it is a very average oil that is being marketed as a premium product since Idemitsu has some OEM experience. The oil does not meet Dexos standards and the few UOA's I have seen suggest that it is prone to shearing.

Japanese style oil...ugh.
VI and moly cannot save us.

Idemitsu 5w30 SP is a nice oil. One thing about it I like is the VII is low. 155.

It exceeds the deposit control by >90% over GF-6 requirements (Sequence IIIH) and superior performance against higher heat application.
The sulphated ash is 0.73 wt% by ASTM D874 test method.
Also the NOACK Volatility is 8.5 wt% loss at 250C by ASTM D5800 test method which is 43% less volatile compared to GF-6 requirements.

*Zepro has been discontinued. Not surprised due to the performance of the SP formulation now.

I still have some of this 0w20 SN (not SN+ or SP) Idemitsu oil from the AA and AZ 'Clearance'. I've read that it's "very average" on this board. Is this oil capable of 7 or 8K OCI's like most other synthetics?

Back