Idemitsu 0w20 w/ MOLY - 5,495mi - 2014 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to try Idemitsu with Moly to compare to the regular ol' plain jane Idemitsu. Got this oil on sale from Amazon for like $25 shipped, I think.

Also decided to extend the interval a bit, to actually give the oil a challenge. An 800 mile trip right at the end helped rack up the miles over the course of two days. Haha.

The Oil Life showed 40% remaining using the "flexible" oil life setting, which calculates based on engine operations and conditions.

It's a silly comparison obviously, since most of the miles have been in cooler winter Florida temps, vs the 100F summer runs. The occasional 35F-40F (50-65F average) cold starts have been BRUTAL... on my hands while i grip the ice cold steering wheel and shifter. Hahaha. I don't know how you people live up north where its ACTUALLY COLD. Goodness gracious. I want my FL warmth back.

Code

OIL Idemitsu 0w20 Synthetic

MILES IN USE 5,495 miles

MILES on unit 74,368

SAMPLE TAKEN 11/18/2018

Make up Oil 0

Universal Average based on 6,000 miles

ALUMINUM 2 4

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 7 11

COPPER 1 3

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 589 144

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 2

POTASSIUM 0 2

BORON 195 81

SILICON 9 12

SODIUM 7 40

CALCIUM 2036 1804

MAGNESIUM 9 291

PHOSPHORUS 696 649

ZINC 764 740

BARIUM 1 0

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210�F 49.8 46-57

cSt @ 212�F 7.20 6.0-9.7

FLASHPOINT �F 390 >385

Fuel %
Antifreeze 0.0 0.0

WATER 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.2
TBN 4.9 >1.0

TAN 5.9

Mazda 3 - 11:18:18.jpg

looks like the plain old idemitsu was better. you cant do much better than zero metals. flash point higher and TBN is higher.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
looks like the plain old idemitsu was better. you cant do much better than zero metals. flash point higher and TBN is higher.

I wouldn't call it a fair comparison though. This current fill has 2,000 more miles on it then the regular Idemitsu before it. Its not an Apples to Apple comparison.

Plus like i said, this current sample has lots of Cold starts vs the previous sample which was all summer starts @ 100F

I wouldn't say that. Aluminum is 1-2ppm less even with 2,000 extra miles + cold starts.

I'll try to pull the next sample at 3k for a fair comparison between previous samples. It HAS to be better... right?

Is there actually any proof to this?

Mazda purposely uses Moly infused oil from the factory for these Skyactiv engines in ALL their models. I doubt they would be using it if there was a chance for extra deposits. Their goal is to eliminate engine deposits, especially on the intake valves.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by HKPolice
Moly is over hyped, basically no difference.

Agree and it MAY even lead to greater piston and ring deposits.

The key word here is MAY. My guess is that owners who do not change their oil as specified and run well over the mileage limits suffer from buildup on the pistons and rings. This can happen with any oil but maybe moly accentuates the process.

Originally Posted by webfors
Great report, could run it longer.

Oh I'm sure I can run the oil life down to 0% left and probably close to 9-10k miles but I'd rather not. This vehicle is MINT and is the Newest in my garage at the moment. I pamper it.

Maybe later down the road, once it's retired to beater status, I'll do some extended runs of say... 15-20k miles just for kicks and giggles because I won't care about it much at that point.

Holy moly!

Now imagine if I dump a bottle of Moly on top of that... hmmmm.

Originally Posted by Artem
Holy moly!

Now imagine if I dump a bottle of Moly on top of that... hmmmm.

How much moly is optimal?

Who knows. I certainly don't plan on messing with Idimitsu's formula with additives. I like it where it's at.

Who knows. I certainly don't plan on messing with Idimitsu's formula with additives. I like it where it's at.

I agree. I've contemplated running this oil in the CX5. It's a very good oil.

Decided to try Idemitsu with Moly to compare to the regular ol' plain jane Idemitsu. Got this oil on sale from Amazon for like $25 shipped, I think.

Also decided to extend the interval a bit, to actually give the oil a challenge. An 800 mile trip right at the end helped rack up the miles over the course of two days. Haha.

The Oil Life showed 40% remaining using the "flexible" oil life setting, which calculates based on engine operations and conditions.

It's a silly comparison obviously, since most of the miles have been in cooler winter Florida temps, vs the 100F summer runs. The occasional 35F-40F (50-65F average) cold starts have been BRUTAL... on my hands while i grip the ice cold steering wheel and shifter. Hahaha. I don't know how you people live up north where its ACTUALLY COLD. Goodness gracious. I want my FL warmth back.

Looks like both this and the Mazda branded oil (made by Idemitsu, as well) are chock full of Calcium, so Mazda has no worries about LSPI on these engines. I don't know why so many Mazda guys keep insisting it'd be an issue. Everything I've seen shows that it only effects turbocharged engines. I have to wonder if they're not setting themselves up for massive carbon deposit issues in their attempt to escape the non-existent LSPI issues.

Who knows. I've only run the high moly Mazda / Idemitsu oil a few times. It's expensive from Mazda and I have no problem running "regular" synthetic in my Skyactiv.

Who knows. I've only run the high moly Mazda / Idemitsu oil a few times. It's expensive from Mazda and I have no problem running "regular" synthetic in my Skyactiv.

Well, your average SN rated oil has as much calcium as this does. From what I've seen in Valvoline, with it's Na/Ca add packs (which should be the worst for LSPI), there are no issues in the NA Skyactivs either. It's a high compression engine, sure, but it does not seem like LSPI is an issue for it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back