Idea I had about ester compressor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

You know, the stuff used in air conditioner compressors. I wonder if it would clean an engine if you were to add some to the crankcase? Anyone tried it?

party0051.gif

I too had the same idea after seeing it at a store. I seriously considered it but I chickened out. I can't afford to turn my any of my car engines into test beds with that much uncertainty about the possible negatives. There are enough other safe ways to clean an engine.

There are two types of refrigerant oil, one is a polygycol ether ester and one a polyol ester.

I would not add either type to the oil.

Stick with something like ARX.

Last edited:
Refrigeration oils can be also be naphthenic, parafinic, alkyl-benzine or PAO. Polyglycols are not misable with other base oils.

Redline motor oil is polyol ester based, so are aircraft turbine oils. I once used half a quart of Aeroshell Turbine Oil 555 as a 5 minute flush, can't say it did any good.

Last edited:
Assuming you have an ester type refrigeration oil, the POEs used would not be harmful in small doses, but not likely beneficial either. At best you may get a little cleaning effect at a high price, but these products have little or no additives, so you would be diluting the additive package in your motor oil, which is counter productive. You are safer adding a quart of Redline, or just switch to an oil with high Group V content such as M1.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Assuming you have an ester type refrigeration oil, the POEs used would not be harmful in small doses, but not likely beneficial either. At best you may get a little cleaning effect at a high price, but these products have little or no additives, so you would be diluting the additive package in your motor oil, which is counter productive. You are safer adding a quart of Redline, or just switch to an oil with high Group V content such as M1.

Tom NJ

I agree but starting out with a loaded robust oil would help? with the diluting , thats why i use Rotella or any good HDEO with B-12

well that seems to answer that question! I think I'll err on the side of caution again and not try this.

Makes me want to dump it into a car that we are rebuilding the engine on shortly anyways...
wink.gif
I will see if I can muster up the courage to do it.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back