ICE to track license plates across the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav
I don't see a problem with it, it just makes it easier to their job that they can already do, it just may take a little more time. Every time you go out and have a cell phone it rats your location out, cameras at gas stations, every credit/debit card terminal, toll roads, etc.
Back in 2015, Google knew where I worked and I didn't even have cellular data. Imagine what is possible now, they can probably tell how much gas you burned on the way there.
Originally Posted by StevieC
I get that and I get something has to be done but once this privacy is eroded it's hard to get back and I'm sure other policies and enforcement is possible without eroding privacy further.
It's 2018 and immigration issues resonate with the common man more than theoretical politics, much to my dismay!

I don't see it as a problem here. Illegals who don't have driver license and no car insurance should not be on the road. If these risks are removed from the roadway, our car insurance rates will go down.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I'm a law-abiding citizen, and I see problems with illegal immigration all around me. I have zero issues with this.

So illegals can register cars in your state? They can't here.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
I don't see it as a problem here. Illegals who don't have driver license and no car insurance should not be on the road. If these risks are removed from the roadway, our car insurance rates will go down.

How do they register car without all of that???

Originally Posted by rshaw125

Who said they register it?

As a long time Live PD watcher, it appears nobody has a license or insurance but they have dope
smile.gif

Find dope, good boy......

Originally Posted by Danno
Hey Steve - News flash, the cops in Ontario already scanning your plates as they drive. And who really knows how connected the databases are behind the scenes.
Steve going off-grid in 4,3,2 ….

Reference articles
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...-ontario-police-expand-program-1.2460031
https://www.thestar.com/news/ontari...d_check_thousands_of_license_plates.html
https://globalnews.ca/news/1023401/opp-targets-suspended-drivers-with-new-license-plate-scanners/

This is looking for expired plates / parking infractions etc. This is not speed signs all over the place mapping where you were in the day. This is only if a copy happens to be where your vehicle is. There's a difference.

Oz has deployed this...Police parked at the side of the road and the computer scanning it all in. Argument is that they radioed the plates through in a stop, so same thing..slipperyslope FTW.

Oz has I think more facial recognition stuff per capita too...it's exactly the same thing.

NZ...now if you go through customs, you are required by law to give them (customs agents) your phone and computer passwords.

Originally Posted by Zee09
As a long time Live PD watcher, it appears nobody has a license or insurance but they have dope
smile.gif

I love Live PD! I watch clips almost daily on Youtube!

Originally Posted by 02SE

How do they get a tag for the car? If you don't register it how do you have a tag for ICE to scan??

Re voluntarily giving up freedom, when our American Friend stated, she wanted to see the LDS temple in Sydney.
Forgot her card, and the guy we met checked the global database on attendance back in Mesa Arizona (from Sydney)...her attendance was verified, so she got in...note they were mentioned in the spy chip article.

The ICE angle is really irrelevant. The real problem is that private businesses are already collecting all this data on us.

How do they get a tag for the car? If you don't register it how do you have a tag for ICE to scan??

Flipping through ebay, I saw my old E30 that I sold plateless in an add...parked in the street (illegal if unregistered), but with plates. Ran the plates through the online system that the public can use (gives expiry date, and insurance status), and the plates were for a white econovan.

The next generation of plate recognition will pick this up also...plates not matching registration details.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Zee09
smile.gif

I love Live PD! I watch clips almost daily on Youtube!

I knew you were a good bloke!!!

Originally Posted by Shannow

Flipping through ebay, I saw my old E30 that I sold plateless in an add...parked in the street (illegal if unregistered), but with plates. Ran the plates through the online system that the public can use (gives expiry date, and insurance status), and the plates were for a white econovan.

The next generation of plate recognition will pick this up also...plates not matching registration details.

Yep. No license, no registration, no insurance, stolen plates, stolen identity, etc, etc.

I like crackdowns on illegal immigration.

I don't like systems that let a few people in a dark room get reams of information on anyone -- including citizens, including me and my family -- with just a few clicks.

It boggles my mind how many people can't or won't see the difference.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
I don't like systems that let a few people in a dark room get reams of information on anyone -- including citizens, including me and my family -- with just a few clicks.

Again, according to the article, it's not ICE doing this. They're just buying the data from a private company.

And anyone could do that. Want to burgle your house? Just wait until the computer shows your car is in another state, and walk in.

There are illegals everywhere that have no license, no registration, no insurance and no English when they hit you.

Another crime that's popular here lately is varmints peeling off your tabs to stick on their plates. I just paid $400 for my stickers. I need to get a clear cover to deter them.

Lots of gamers around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back