Ice Bucket Challenge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brest cancer, though a horrible illness (I have family and friends who fought it, some successful, some not) Breast cancer awareness has become a corporation versus a charity to me

all this pink this, pink that, save tatas etc,buy this, buy that, its become more of a fashion statement and corporation than anything.

again, I know quite a few people, survivors and some not so blessed to be a survivor. The big name charities that say they "help"? Nowhere to be found when asked with these peoples issues.

its also like WWP, wounded warrior, its more of a corporation than a charity. I know quite a few who have contacted WWP with no success.

"live strong" bracelets once had a meaning. They came out with a limited number which was meant to be used for cancer research. Now the bracelets are made all the time, live strong has expanded to a website, clothes, shoes, etc.

Social Media has INCREDIBLE power.

This was popular in my area as it heavily went out of Boston. I have getting tired of my Facebook page littered with it as it cannot play the video's(well) anyway iPhone 4.

That all being said this simple Social Media post(viral) has raised $42Million for ALS this year vs 20 million last entire year.

One including David Ramsey(champion cheapskate of BITOGs) who gave $7500.

Average donation is $46.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I know it's for a good cause and all but it's getting old real quick. Seems like everyone and there grandma are doing it now. Stop the Madness. Rant Over!

There needs to be a law that requires all contestants to wear only bathing suits. That would entertain increased interest in the fad, had (for instance) both Justin Verlander and Kate Upton wore their swim suits, when dumped with ice.

dump an ice bucket in their pants. I would pay to see that. which charity do I write my check out to again?
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What I don't like is only 7% of the particular charity's money goes to research.

Yeh yeh yeh, that's the Charity Industry for ya. Sweet, sweet tax-free untraceable cash, baby. It truly gets no better than that, not even the Church Industry, because science and 'helping people behind the banner of science' is more much more convincing and seemingly credible, especially to those with money and idealistic naivete

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What I don't like is only 7% of the particular charity's money goes to research.

Bingo, but the sheeple are too busy with their
"monkey see, monkey do" routine to pay any attention to something that matters.

This [censored] reminds me of the Kony 2012 nonsense.

Could it be that these "events" are staged experiments by psy op groups to see the process of how social media spreads information?

Don't get me wrong. I like donations to good causes, but Lou Gherig died of ALS 73 years ago. I don't think throwing more money at the cause is going to suddenly cure it miraculously. I am not unsympathetic. My favorite high school teacher died of ALS three years ago.

No reason you can't do it, then donate the money.

That was my approach.

Called out my kids, and donated on their behalf too.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I think it kinda hurt the money raising method. Now everyone wants to do it. The idea was to not want to do it and donate money.

At the same time tho it has raised a lot of peoples attention and has surely helped raise money but you never hear the "AlS" ice bucket challenge.

I've read (don't know if it's true) that it is significant because some shake uncontrollably after being doused with ice cold water, similar to the lack of muscle control ALS patients have.

Didn't experience that myself. I just got wet. But then I had just spent nearly an hour on a bike, so I was pretty warm.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Maybe some people here would feel different about this if one of their loved ones had ALS.

40 hour famine raises awareness by going hungry for 40 hours...has some relevence to the issue that daring someone to dump a bucket of ice water on their heads doesn't...It has no correlation.

If it was used to raise money for breast cancer, bowel cancer, esophageal cancer, lung cancer, spina bifida, anxiety, depression, suicide, or anything else, it's still a stunt, a peer pressure thing, and IMO plain stupid.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Sorry that raising awareness and money for ALS bothers you so.

A lot of people here in Cali have no running water due to severe drought conditions, how many gallons of water are wasted
31.gif

So move! Dropping a bucket of water over my head in the yard is not going to damage the planet.

Originally Posted By: Malo83

A lot of people here in Cali have no running water due to severe drought conditions, how many gallons of water are wasted
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83

31.gif

Do not worry Californians still "need" to water their lawns or get cited and fined from their city for not maintaining property values.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I know it's for a good cause and all but it's getting old real quick. Seems like everyone and there grandma are doing it now. Stop the Madness. Rant Over!

There needs to be a law that requires all contestants to wear only bathing suits. That would entertain increased interest in the fad, had (for instance) both Justin Verlander and Kate Upton wore their swim suits, when dumped with ice.

Uhhh, have you seen the "average person" fully clothed??
37.gif

The ratio of people of walmart to the rest is staggering these days...the last thing I want to see is something that will traumatize me mentally when I think of the ALS cause.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I still want to see Stephen Hawking do it.

Might be a little redundant...

I don't think that'll be possible with a tracheotomy. One of my favorite musicians, Jason Becker (who has had ALS for 25 years) was only able to have a bag of ice on his head because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back