ice auger oil (4 stroke)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have a auger that i bought new last season and added mobil 1 5w-30 (5w-30 is what manual called for). for the first fill. i used the auger for a total run time of probably an hour this year. i want to use a synthetic 5w-30 i will probably run it 2-5 hours per year. how long can i go before a change is needed? what brad has the best pumpiblilty at low temps? and should i just fill the oil up until i can see it in the dank case because it docent say how much it takes.

As far as the amount of oil to use I'm unsure, but regular Mobil 1 5w30 has some of the best cold cranking and pumping properties of any 5w30 synthetic, so you're already using one of the best oils possible.

If you run super low hours, just change it every few years.

I would take note of the level the factory fill before I changed and refilled to that point barring any other knowledge. However I'd try to find the proper level by contacting dealer or manufacturer. Also I'd look at the 0w-30 specs and compare to the 5w-30 cold properties and see if any are better, however the oil you are using is infinitely capable.

If you could start it easily with 5W30 then I'd just go to a syn 0W30. If it was a bit hard to pull over in the coldest temps, I would try a syn 0W20, unless your ice gets very thick. Most of the time here 18-24" is it and 4 holes in that doesn't seem like the motor would even be warmed up.

What kind of auger are you running?

If you bought it new, it should have come with a manual and you should be able to find your fill amount in there.

somehow there has to be a way to determine the proper LEVEL of the oil, not just how much to put in it when drained. If it were to consume, leak some oil, you need to know where to refill it to. I would say, that if there is no "dipstick"and just a plug in the fill, that it is filled till FULL. OLD B+S used to be that way, and some people would bring in the mower (or whatever) with virtually no oil in them, and say, "but I could see oil in there". Yes, but you could also see the bottom of the sump, and even a couple oz. of oil looked like it had oil.

Amsoil 4 stroke Powersports 0W-40

Isn't this what Gillespie runs in his Jiffy auger?

I know it is used in Snowmobiles, so the cold weather flow must be good.

My Jiffy calls for 0w-30 I believe, it's not the happiest machine when it get really cold out (propane powered) but once it gets running and warmed up for a minute or so it's great. Definitely gets stiff in the cold with the factory supplied oil though.

the auger is a polar fire, it had no factory fill the M1 was the first thing to go into it. and it docent give a fill amount in the manual. i will go to a 0W-30 tho

End of November to mid December I plan to get a new auger. It will be a propane 4stroke. It shall be in shaky or warm geo cab, so cold starts will be to a minimum.

To be honest be to busy to research yet.
I will probably opt for a 0w-20 and mmo.

Harvey

Jiffy factory oil is 0w-40, they charge $6 for an 6-8oz bottle. I'm currently running Mobil 0w-40 that was $8 a quart on sale, I have noticed that it's easier to crank on the Mobil than it was on the factory fill.

The biggest thing with the propane augers is running them long enough to burn out the condensation in the engine, propane makes a lot of water vapor and will milk up the oil pretty quickly. I always make a point of letting my auger run up to full temp and drill 5-6 holes after 4-5 minutes of idle time after each weekend of use, oil goes from pretty milky to clear and you should be good to go.

Just my two cents...
Electric will improve but when will it be perfect? Never. For me I love my ION. It's lighter than my old reliable Jiffy Model 30 (until it finally wore out after many years of use), it starts at the squeeze of the trigger, it has reverse. The best auger depends on what type of fishing you do. Late last winter when the ice was thicker I could drill about 30-40 holes. For me that is more than I will drill most days but for some that is barely half of what they will drill.

For me an 8 inch is also plenty big. You can bring a 20# northern through a 6-inch hole. If you have young kids fishing with you and you use a 10-inch auger you are eventually going to have a boot full of water. As earlier, best is defined by what you want and need.

But i was lucky enough to buy a 2HP Eskimo https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-augers/ with a Tecumseh engine on it before they went out of business. Bought it probably 8 or 9 years ago now. Fires up right away, had the carbs professionally cleaned two years ago, still haven't replaced a spark plug. Been a great gas auger. I wouldn't have an issue with buying another gas auger, but it would for sure be a two stroke.

I highly doubt it would ever get up to temp. I'd run synthetic 0W20 in it. Oil only gets up to temp if it is ran for over 30-40 minutes... so the 0W20 will be thinning out and MORE than thick enough for the length of time it is ran.

Dont know the design of the oil fill, or if it has a dipstick, but some engines you just fill it right up to the top of the oil fill hole until oil leaks out. Thats full. Designed that way so that you can never over fill it.

Originally Posted by mjk
Amsoil 4 stroke Powersports 0W-40

Isn't this what Gillespie runs in his Jiffy auger?

I know it is used in Snowmobiles, so the cold weather flow must be good.

Yep I believe he runs It also run in my snowblower and is a great recommendation I'd avoid the 20 weight

Originally Posted by dave123
I'd avoid the 20 weight

Why? Do you know how thick 0W20 oil is at its likely maximum temp of 80 degrees F in an ice auger? WAY thicker than 5W30 or 0W40 oil at 212F.

0W20 oil is too thick for THIS application and usage cycle at the likely temp the oil will be subjected to.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by dave123
I'd avoid the 20 weight

Why? Do you know how thick 0W20 oil is at its likely maximum temp of 80 degrees F in an ice auger? WAY thicker than 5W30 or 0W40 oil at 212F.

0W20 oil is too thick for THIS application and usage cycle at the likely temp the oil will be subjected to.

Per Jiffy 2018 4 stroke ice augers use Jiffy 4 cycle 0w40 synthetic oil

I just gotta know have you ever run or serviced a ice auger or understand how hard they run.

I've seen them used. They run for 3 minutes,then are turned off. The oil in the crankcase is ambient temp, so -30F to 20F or so. Your telling me an engine that has ran for 3 minutes has warmed the oil up 200-240 degrees to operating temp where a 30 or 40 weight matters? Fascinating.

If you understand viscosity as it relates to temperatures, you will CLEARLY understand that a synthetic 0W20 oil is way thicker than necessary for an ice auger that will be ran at about 0 degrees F for 3 minutes. , and anything thicker is of no benefit.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I've seen them used. They run for 3 minutes,then are turned off. The oil in the crankcase is ambient temp, so -30F to 20F or so. Your telling me an engine that has ran for 3 minutes has warmed the oil up 200-240 degrees to operating temp where a 30 or 40 weight matters? Fascinating.

If you understand viscosity as it relates to temperatures, you will CLEARLY understand that a synthetic 0W20 oil is way thicker than necessary for an ice auger that will be ran at about 0 degrees F for 3 minutes. , and anything thicker is of no benefit.

Make sure you tell the MFG all your scientific findings.
Its careless to be giving such a reckless recommendation from south Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back