I went with a Duracell. Jump starter put to test.

My Honda OE (made by JCI) battery went after ~6&1/2 years. I try to keep my batteries charged up on a maintainer semi regularly. I knew it was getting weak and starts were getting slower, quit when one day out and about. Luckily had a 5 year old Bestek 600A/10k mAh(rated) jump starter in trunk, fully charged. Worked like a champ. Tried to charge OE again later, got to charged, but quit again. Bestek worked again.

Checked prices online for 51R expecting to see WM Everstart Maxx (made by Clarios/JCI this area) best price, they were on markdown to $121 from $140. Then saw Sam's had a Duracell also (3 year full warranty) for $120, research showed made by East Penn. In my observation EP seems to be a Bitog favorite manufacturer, I know member bbhero is a big booster. Once I confirmed local Sam's had one and it was indeed EP made, made the purchase. $120 plus tax. These days, an excellent price. 51R is a relatively small battery and some complain about it. But I got 6+ years out of the OE, so I did not feel need to upsize and retro fit with required Honda parts.

All in all, satisfied with purchase and fact that first jump starter I ever purchased (~$40 Amazon) worked when needed.
P1020305.JPGP1020306.JPG

Prices have been creeping up (to $80 now) but Rural King is still the best place to buy a 51R.

I adore my Duracell. I specifically bought it from Batteries and Bulbs vs. a larger supplier for the customer service, and knowing it wouldn't sit there for months. I change batteries every 4 years regardless, but also have an Amazon jump pack just in case. I've only used it to help others, at this point. But you gotta be prepared; this is BITOG after all.

Put it in November 2020. Spins quickly even below zero degrees.

.....but also have an Amazon jump pack just in case. I've only used it to help others, at this point. But you gotta be prepared; this is BITOG after all.
I've got a jump starter in each of my vehicles. The Bestek the oldest, so even though charged didn't know exactly what to expect. The fact it worked a few times, very pleased. Understand buying from smaller dealer for warranty purposes. I was happy to see 2/22 sticker on the battery.

I have a Duracell on the Tundra, never an issue. A friend borrowed the truck and put the new battery in. Score!
Personally, I buy Costco Intersate because if you bring it in withing warranty, they pull a new one off the shelf and off you go.
No questions asked. They even look up the receipt for you. Avout $100 nowadays...

Pretty sure the regular 51 I got from WM as a warranty swap was EP. Interesting that yours was JCI. I dont see much JCI around here anymore.

Pretty sure the regular 51 I got from WM as a warranty swap was EP. Interesting that yours was JCI. I dont see much JCI around here anymore.
Seems to be a regional type thing. When I'm in area WMs I often check to see whether Everstart is Clarios/JCI or EP made. Obviously, I've not been in every WM in the central Piedmont of NC, but every one I've checked is Clarios /JCI. That includes two closest, one adjacent to Sam's. Otoh, have a family member living in the eastern part of state (Greenville) I encouraged to buy a Maxx. Unknown to me beforehand, it turned out to be an EP battery.

Not really a Sam's type guy (normally don't buy in bulk), but last November slickdeals had $15 membership front page offer, figured worth a try. So, happy to be able to pick up the Duracell battery.

Closest Costco, ~50 mi.

I have an east penn Duracell from sams, same size, in my civic. It’s 8.5 yrs old. I’ve added water once and put it on the charger every month or two. I’m pleased with it.

The E-P Duracells are all that I've put into my cars for the past 10+ years. Never had a failure, but I get nervous about them after 6 or 7 years, and just replace them then. I haven't had to use my jump packs on any of my own car batteries---the neighbor's car/battery is a different matter.

In my observation EP seems to be a Bitog favorite manufacturer.....
Is EP actually superior to Clarios or just the BITOG flavor of the year? I have never seen any objective, quantitative evidence of EP superiority (such as the percentage of warranty returns during the 1st year of use) here at BITOG or elsewhere . Its hard to believe that Clarios could be the worlds largest producer of lead acid batteries by manufacturing a mediocre product.

Is EP actually superior to Clarios or just the BITOG flavor of the year? I have never seen any objective, quantitative evidence of EP superiority (such as the percentage of warranty returns during the 1st year of use) here at BITOG or elsewhere . Its hard to believe that Clarios could be the worlds largest producer of lead acid batteries by manufacturing a mediocre product.

The only issue I’ve had with JCI batteries is leaking terminals. Not with every one though. Most seem to be good, reliable batteries that easily clear the warranty life.

Some sizes of EP (usually under the Duracell or RayoVac private labels) tested well a few years ago in Consumer Reports. But like anything, very dependent on which size was tested. And even then, it seems batteries are fickle and there is always someone gets a lemon once in a while. Battery reviews from CR give you an indication of quality, but is never a guarantee. And to repeat, their reviews show no general consistency of a brand across all sizes. About the only thing I notice is that AGMs seem to perform better in their tests.... but again, there is the occasional flooded battery that does well. To their credit, CR does test several examples of each size/brand and obtain them from different sources and regions around the country.

Is EP actually superior to Clarios or just the BITOG flavor of the year? I have never seen any objective, quantitative evidence of EP superiority (such as the percentage of warranty returns during the 1st year of use) here at BITOG or elsewhere ..........
'Based on my observation' of Bitog, I believe there may be two factors to the preference for EP over Clarios batteries. The first mentioned by drtyler, as compared to EP batteries, anecdotal evidence shows Clarios batteries leaking acid at the battery terminals to be a commonly mentioned issue. Presently owning a WM Value Power made by Clarios I can attest to that finding on the positive post at least. I'm very glad I installed oil based Noco battery Protectors or I think may not a positive battery cable connector left. The acid did eat through half the terminal protector on the positive terminal. On the plus side, I'm past 3&1/2 years on the WM VP now so I've gotten my money's worth. It is getting weak now.

I believe the second is COO. EP batteries do show to be made in US. Clarios seems to be more vague on their batteries coo and some on Bitog report them made in S Korea. So in my observation I believe those are two reasons EP batteries are favored for purchase over Clarios. That was the basis for my statement " EP seems to be a Bitog favorite manufacturer". Nothing beyond that was intended.

IMO, the leaking is more related to vehicles/temperature/travel distances that overcharge the battery. I've been exclusively buying the JCI Walmart Everstart Maxx's for years (and the JCI made Autozone batteries prior to that) and have not had any leak issues. I get about 6 years out of them, replacing them right before the next winter.

I'd be fine with an EP batt. too, but the JCI/Clarios is what the local Walmarts stock at a great price for my group sizes so...
It's worth mentioning that not all WM group sizes are priced as well as others. On one vehicle, the lower trim version of the vehicle comes with a smaller group size 59 battery that's more expensive than the larger group size 65 battery it can also use.

Last edited:
...Presently owning a WM Value Power made by Clarios I can attest to that finding on the positive post at least. I'm very glad I installed oil based Noco battery Protectors or I think may not a positive battery cable connector left. The acid did eat through half the terminal protector on the positive terminal. On the plus side, I'm past 3&1/2 years on the WM VP now so I've gotten my money's worth. It is getting weak now.

I believe the second is COO. EP batteries do show to be made in US. Clarios seems to be more vague on their batteries coo...
I recently bought a group35 $60 WM EverStart Value battery, to have as a backup. Made by Clarios, but no COO shown anywhere on the battery . Voltage at time of purchase was 12.85V (at 65F), so off to a good start. The battery will get charged once a month, and stored where temperature is 55F-75F year round. It will be interesting to see if this battery will live for 10 years or more.

The only issue I’ve had with JCI batteries is leaking terminals. Not with every one though. Most seem to be good, reliable batteries that easily clear the warranty life.
They leak from the terminals, the cases, everywhere! Went to East Penn, the oldest one I have is now ~6 years old, NONE of them have ever leaked, AT ALL. Pretty much all the JC/Clarios ones I’ve ever had, with the exception of a couple older Interstates, have leaked like a sieve. Even my Indy mechanic has given up on the Interstate batteries he sold for DECADES, because they’ve messed up too many customer’s cars. Buy them if you want, don’t say I didn’t warn you…

I recently bought a group35 $60 WM EverStart Value battery, to have as a backup. Made by Clarios, but no COO shown anywhere on the battery . Voltage at time of purchase was 12.85V (at 65F), so off to a good start. The battery will get charged once a month, and stored where temperature is 55F-75F year round. It will be interesting to see if this battery will live for 10 years or more.
I recently had an opportunity to buy another buy another Duracell on sale at Sam's for ~$110, $20 off. It would have been for same vehicle I'm currently running WM Clarios ES VP, Grp35. But as it's an older vehicle (07), after due consideration decided when time comes (soon) likely buy another Clarios made VP. Cost now up $10 to ~$60. Still, if I got at least 3 years again, worth it imo. You can bet though I will be buying the terminal protectors for it.

I've used many JCI made batteries over the years, mostly in Autocraft form because AAP used have some excellent prices with code promo deals. Those only had minor acid corrosion at the positive terminal, if at all. Otoh, the VP has been on another level.

I would add, I'm not keen on the fact that at least on the Everstart batteries, Clarios not up front about coo.

Back