I want It ! I want it !

When I worked for VW in 2015-2016 I told several of the product managers and higher ups that if they made and sold the Amarok truck here it'd print money like no tomorrow. Instead they "revamped" the passat.

When I worked for VW in 2015-2016 I told several of the product managers and higher ups that if they made and sold the Amarok truck here it'd print money like no tomorrow.
I'm not so sure..

The Amarok is smaller than an F-150, so naturally people here would want to play less for it than for an F-150. Considering all the crazy rebates that Ford is usually offering, could the Amarok be offered for less while still allowing VW to make a decent profit? It's probably more profitable for them to sell SUVs instead.

And no, don't expect to lower the cost by offering a bare bones truck with no A/C and without latest technology. People still want their creature comforts and smartphone integration. The F-150 has it.

It looks like a smart car with a garden cart crammed up the tailpipe. Surely they could do a better job.

the Holden, otoh, that’s a sexy beast.

Instead they "revamped" the passat.
Now a Passat pickup would have been cool. :)

volkswagen-passat-pickup-truck-88142_1.jpg

I don’t think this little pickup would sell very well in the US. Most buyers want the full rear seat.

Is that 1.4 motor a Opel design?

Knowing GM, they will bring it here and call it the El Camino.

There's a gripe somewhere in my head about how the auto makers (and some here) insist that these smaller utility vehicles have no place in the US, but in a given year there are millions of people driving full size pickups and never actually carrying substantial loads in the bed.

It's almost as if our society wants you to overbuy and be wasteful. Nah I must be thinking crazy. 🤔

There's a gripe somewhere in my head about how the auto makers (and some here) insist that these smaller utility vehicles have no place in the US, but in a given year there are millions of people driving full size pickups and never actually carrying substantial loads in the bed.

It's almost as if our society wants you to overbuy and be wasteful. Nah I must be thinking crazy. 🤔
Yup. There are many places in the world where people make do with small pickups or just station wagons. We are spoiled here because for the most part we don't have space concerns (narrow roads, small garages, small parking spots, etc.) like some other places do, so owning a big truck is not impractical.

I think many people in the US drive big trucks because they want to and not because they need to. I'm OK with that. Would some of the drive small trucks if given the option? Sure, but it would have to cost substantially less than a big truck for people to bite, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm all for a small truck, but can you please not make it so hideous?

Is VW Tarok coming to the US?

Tarok_Concept-Large-96981.jpg
I know thanks to the chicken tax we’d never see this here but can’t see a German or even a lux brand pickup truck being successful. Americans like a salt of the earth blue collar name on the front of their $74,000 pickup truck so they can haul 3 bags of mulch from Home Depot once a year. That Amarok looks so sweet plus VW interiors these days even on rental Jettas are fantastic.

I know thanks to the chicken tax we’d never see this here but can’t see a German or even a lux brand pickup truck being successful. Americans like a salt of the earth blue collar name on the front of their $74,000 pickup truck so they can haul 3 bags of mulch from Home Depot once a year. That Amarok looks so sweet plus VW interiors these days even on rental Jettas are fantastic.
Why would you want that? You want all the auto worker jobs in the US to disappear? That's about the only reason US companies are staying in business. Anyway, Toyota and Nissan built plants in the US. German companies also have some plants in the US that build cars. They could easily start building pickups, but while Nissan and Toyota build pickups, they don't really have that big a share so no one else wants to get into the market because they probably won't sell enough to make it worthwhile even though they'd be on a "level" playing field. It's cheaper to develop a truck when you sell a million of them vs 100k.

Despite much hate for car/truck combo's, I like 'em, always have. This one is no exception. I think it's the truck guys who realize these things are not real trucks and are rather vocal about their dislike.

However, as a sports car guy, the idea of a "car" that can do some truck duties (like carry a dirt bike) has always held some appeal. That Holden above is really neat.

430b008b368c0693f773f90dad623634.jpg

The Amarok is smaller than an F-150, so naturally people here would want to play less for it than for an F-150.

I saw one at a Lowes in Colorado a couple years back (MX plates) it wasn't as impressive as you would think from pictures and was smaller as I recall than one would think from pictures.

Still I don't think the F150 (or Silverado or RAM) is its target audience.

Back