I think my battery is getting weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I go out to my truck today, jump in it (it was 3C) this morning and I crank it over and it starts but the starter is a bit slower than usual and my Power Inverter in the vehicle screams the low battery warning chime while I'm cranking. I look at my scangauge and it is showing 11.0 volts before I started cranking.
frown.gif

I guess it is getting a bit weak. Not bad for an OEM, almost 4 years 230K KM on the truck I guess.

Guess I'm going to get a trusty Interstate tomorrow before this one starts stressing my Alternator too much.

There goes another $120.
smirk2.gif

Didn't you say you got a $10,000 raise???

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Just kidding.
grin2.gif

My car needs a new battery (5 year old Autolite that looks like it's been snowed on with all the sulfation) and new belts (80,000 miles and the power steering belt slips even after I've cranked on the tension).

Our truck got a DieHard Platinum battery last year, it is so much better than the OE Motorcraft battery was, it cranks very fast. I would get one for your santa fe if you can find one.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna get another Interstate like I usually do because they last us 10 years normally or I should try something else. Even if I have to take a run to the US to get it.

I wouldn't mind one of the new ones that use the Glass-Gel instead of lead acid but apparently it is hard to find a good quality one.

Gimme your thoughts for the best battery I can get... Open to try something new.

I run my laptop off the vehicle for hours at a time so keep that in mind.

Optimas have a mixed record of reliability. Considering they cost roughly twice as much, I'd stick with a Johnson Controls made battery.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Optimas have a mixed record of reliability. Considering they cost roughly twice as much, I'd stick with a Johnson Controls made battery.

Didn't know that. Did they recently get bought out or move production. What is the story?

I don't know, but my brother went through 2 of them under warranty in his Jimmy, and they have a mixed record of reliability on most car forums.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Isn't Optima having quality problems?
Lots of problems with them on the jeep boards. I had execelent results with an Exide Orbital(Made in Spain)...It lasted 1 month past the warranty which is rare here.

It was nearly 1 year old when I bought it too.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Lots of problems with them on the jeep boards. I had execelent results with an Exide Orbital(Made in Spain)...It lasted 1 month past the warranty which is rare here.

Sorry should have said "NO EXIDE" Everything I have had from them has been Khrap.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Sorry should have said "NO EXIDE" Everything I have had from them has been Khrap.
Thats why I noted that the Orbital was made in Spain. Much better than the ones made in North America.

JCI owns Optima IIRC, bought the company out several years back. I am not fond of them myself.

Working at a parts store ~5 years back, the city maintenance shop used to buy lots of the Yellow top for almost everything. A fair share came back for warranty though too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back