I think I am sold on silver cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always thought of silver as just shiny primer. I know that silver is the most popular selling color on new cars but it certainly isn't for me.

We drive in grey murk seven months a year in Seattle, and an approaching silver car, at least without headlights or running lights, is very difficult to see in those conditions. We have always avoided silver and grey cars for that reason.

Originally Posted By: sds911
+1 on Silver -- After years of waxing and polishing, I've switched to OptiCoat 2.0 -- (of course after a full prep with polish and clay). Looks great on metallic silver!

I just did this same friend's 350z with Opti-Coat 2.0. The process was wash, iron-x paste, nanoskin autoscrub mitt for prep.

I compounded most of the car with Meguiars D300 and Meguiars Microfiber Finishing Disc using a Rupes 21. HD Polish and a Uber green (or Meguiars yellow polishing pad) with a Flex 3401 did the finishing. The clear on the hood was very questionable so I one-stepped it with M205/Uber green pad/Rupes 21.

Finished off with Opti-Coat 2.0. Prep Process for Opti-Coat was a vehicle wash with Optimum Power Clean 1:3 and a panel wipedown with 25% mix of IPA.

Before this work, the blue paint was covered with a grey haze. It was mostly water spots, deep RIDS and oxidation. I think I got a 70-80% improvement. Spent about 9 hours total - 8 on polishing and 1 for opti-coat.

This is not the best picture, but HD polish seems to finish out really well on just about every soft paint system that I've touched:

I'm sold on silver also. Currently driving my first silver vehicle/SUV (Diamond Silver) and it seems to stay cleaner & better looking longer and a couple little rock chips up front are not as obvious as all the darker vehicles I have had.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I have always thought of silver as just shiny primer. I know that silver is the most popular selling color on new cars but it certainly isn't for me.

I heard on the radio the other day that white is the most popular color, followed by silver...I like silver because it doesn't show dirt, but as far as attractiveness, I much prefer red or black...

My last car is silver, and I liked it for a year, but now I find it a very boring color. No personality whatsoever. Low maintenance for sure. I'm kicking myself for not buying white (my previous 5 cars are/were white and I love/loved it).

I had a white car and I loved it, but I wouldn't say they had anymore personality than silver.

I think of lightning blues, copper, bright red, and Lambo yellow when I think of personality.

Both of my vehicles (see sig line) are silver metallic. The color looks great all the time, is easy to clean and look great when using synthetic paint sealants that I prefer to use when detailing. Two or more coats of a carnuba actually gives the paint a golden glow which really turns heads. Also, I have never seen a silver car with peeling paint, I am guessing that has to do with the silver staying cooler in the bright sun.

My Pontiac was in a minor accident when my ex-girlfriend backed her car right into my driver side door. The re-finished area didn't match up to the original paint too well but you only really see it in bright sun. Paint matching would be the only real downside to silver colored paint.

Last edited:
When I bought my car they were special order only and in very high demand. 05 production was under 300, simply difficult to find one.

I had an order in for a black one with a big deposit. A silver one arrived and the original buyer waffled, so I got to come look at it. My wife and I liked it, and since we had a written deal we took it.

IMO the silver is a much better color as it seems to almost always look pretty good.

I have to say that Toyota's "beige/tan" called Desert Sand Mica, also easily cleans/hides minor dirt and dust...just like you'd like an appliance to do...

My Outback is silver on gold. Love it as it doesn't show how filthy is gets being parked outside most of the time.

If/when I ever live somewhere with a garage again, I'm go back to having red/blue/black cars. But this saves so much headache, when there is not a way to keep the car sheltered.

I even love silver on high performance/'super cars'.

I want a silver C6 Z06 Carbon Edition (was it available in Silver??), or even a C7 version in that color IF they ever release it, sooooo bad!

A set of CCW C10s in ALL matt black on it, with Pilot Cup Sport NON-run flats, and I'm in HEAVEN!!!
20.gif
cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

I get pretty into my detailing.

Yes, silver (and shades of silver and gray) tends to stay looking best because silver closely matches the color of light bouncing off the super fine scratches and swirls in paint.

Personally, despite that, I don't love super light silver as it can look as plain as white. I prefer just a slightly darker silver with some good metallic.

I do have one black car. It doesn't really look dirtier, I just have to work hard and polish it a couple times a year to try to keep the swirls down. And it's small so that helps.

Pretty much though, in the future I'll stick with dark silver or gray cars, or some variation. I might have a black car again, if it was really small as mine now is.

I will say when detailing, the darker the color, the more exciting it is to work on. The depth is so amazing. The lighter the color, the less thrilling it is to look into the paint, as the depth is just not there.

I also find lighter colors tend to look good on cars that have beautiful panels/design/shape as you see EVERY curve of a light colored car. If a design doesn't age to so well, the light color can make a car seem more out of date. Black can sometimes make a dated body style or design look not so bad because it hides some of the curves/design, you instead see that deep black paint.

People think white is easy to work on, but it is not. It shows any little contaminant on the paint, it stands out, so the paint must be kept really clean. Also, white does not hide micro-scratches or swirls well, it's just a plain flat white paint, so swirls can pretty easily be seen. I don't enjoy working on white paint, it's not too rewarding. Very very little depth. You won't fall into white paint no matter how polished, that's for sure. On a beautiful car, brand new, I think it can look nice though, but really brand new and shiny and in style design, like a brand new Cayman or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I even love silver on high performance/'super cars'.

I want a silver C6 Z06 Carbon Edition (was it available in Silver??), or even a C7 version in that color IF they ever release it, sooooo bad!

Excellent choice, silver on high performance cars such as the C6 is just awesome...now that's how to roll.

Silver is near perfect for looking clean most of the time. It doesn't show water spots nearly as bad as darker paint, either.

My Fusion is "darkside metallic." It's beautiful when it's clean, but it's nearly impossible to keep clean. The good news is it encourages me to clean it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back