I saw my first OBD fuel saver scam device IRL today…

So, today I went out to do a check engine light scan for a customer. I noticed he had one of those scam “OBD eco fuel saver” thingies in there.

It’s none of my business so I simply took it out, did the code scan, and put it back in. As I was putting it back in he was like “oh, by the way, that thing is great, I get 36mpg now”

Part of me just wanted to tell him how he got ripped off and that the stupid thing is nothing more than a circuit to light up the LED on the device but I just smiled and said “that’s interesting” and moved on.

But yeah, I’ve just seen these online and the various different ones made fun of and disassembled in YouTube videos but I never thought I’d actually see one in real life.

Has anyone else here actually seen one in a friends, family, or client car? And did you say something?

So, today I went out to do a check engine light scan for a customer. I noticed he had one of those scam “OBD eco fuel saver” thingies in there.

It’s none of my business so I simply took it out, did the code scan, and put it back in. As I was putting it back in he was like “oh, by the way, that thing is great, I get 36mpg now”

Part of me just wanted to tell him how he got ripped off and that the stupid thing is nothing more than a circuit to light up the LED on the device but I just smiled and said “that’s interesting” and moved on.

But yeah, I’ve just seen these online and the various different ones made fun of and disassembled in YouTube videos but I never thought I’d actually see one in real life.

Has anyone else here actually seen one in a friends, family, or client car? And did you say something?

Conformation bias tells him he didn't just blow twenty eight backs on that amazing device! "I'm SO getting 47 MPG. "

P.S. (I have one of those things stuffed somewhere in a cabinet. 😀

(Mine wasn't for MPG. It was to make massive power.) Yea ,I nibbled at the magic Chinese power secret. "They totally know how to make more power in a Chevy! " 😀

Conformation bias tells him he didn't just blow twenty eight backs on that amazing device! "I'm SO getting 47 MPG. "

P.S. (I have one of those things stuffed somewhere in a cabinet. 😀

(Mine wasn't for MPG. It was to make massive power.) Yea ,I nibbled at the magic Chinese power secret. "They totally know how to make more power in a Chevy! " 😀
Ancient Chinese secret huh?
20240614_214946.jpg

Last edited:
Never heard of them? So it just plugs in and lights up an LED, or is it a gauge that tracks vacuum like in the old days?
There are various YouTube videos about them. Basically it’s just an obd connector with an unnecessarily complex circuit that makes an LED light up. Some have multiple LEDs and/or a button. That all do nothing but separate people from their money and generate ewaste.

You should've asked to see his mileage notes.
A) He'd have no notes
B) He'd make the stupidest face at you.

Even here, and on every other car board I've visited, massive numbers of people can't gather the simple formula.
Total miles driven / total gallons of fuel = mileage. Tally mileage after a fill-up.

A Florida company made a container the size of a roll of nickels into which they stuffed with machine turnings of 3 different metals.
This container replaced a removed section of fuel line, as an inline filter would be.
The claim was that fuel, washing over the 3 metals, would become "molecularly fluffed up" and burn better.

It had some name like, The Maximiser!
If I knew the name, I'd look for one on eBay just for the laugh.

Years ago we had a guy that came to our company and wanted to demonstrate his water injection system to increase fuel mileage . It was really a crude setup and did nothing .

Long ago it was the mothballs in the gas tank and circa 2004 all my co-workers bought into a pyramid scheme where they called it something else but they all admitted the pellets smelled an awful lot like mothballs

I was the only car guy in the office and they all ignored my advice that they were being ripped off. It was a pretty miraculous example of hive mind.

The guy around 2004 was shut down by his state AG -- I think it was the PNW like Washington state (maybe)

Back