I replaced my disposal and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to share some of what I've learned about disposals over the years. Some of you may remember that I've been a plumber for more than 30 years (closing in on 34 or so). When I started out, it seemed like all I ever saw was Insinkerators. I saw the occasional Waste King, but I wasn't impressed. Even then, it seemed like there were only two disposal manufacturers, ISE (or their parent company), and Waste King. GE, Whirlaway, and Waste King obviously came off of the same assembly line, and ISE, Kenmore, and many others also clearly were very similar. I've had a number of Insinkerators, but the last one I had was a 333 (not 333SS), and I was very disappointed in its relatively short life, less than 5 years. When I replaced it, alternatives were hard to find locally (this is over 10 years ago), but I found a GE at a fairly reasonable price. Fast forward to today, that GE has lasted more than 10 years, grinding up everything I put in it without complaint. We are hard on disposals. The instructions say that you can grind bones, so we grind bones. Nothing huge, but any chicken bone is fair game, as well as small beef and pork bones.

A few years ago, I noticed that Costco was selling a nice looking Waste King with 3/4 or 1 horsepower for under $200 with, IIRC, a 10-year in-home service warranty. ISE can't touch that. So, when my disposer broke recently, I checked Costco and they had an American Standard ASD-1250 1-1/4 horsepower disposal for $99. Not sure how they do that, and this one comes with a 10-year warranty, anti-microbial innards to keep odors down, and a bunch of other cool features. I bought it. If I had been a little more patient, I could have ordered a Waste King 8000 which is probably the same unit but has a 20-year in-home replacement warranty. But I wasn't patient. Also, the American Standard has a larger throat than the Waste King 8000, and a metal sink mount that I prefer over the plastic one. To be fair, there is a Waste King with the metal mount, but it's a little harder to find.

I personally wouldn't recommend an Insinkerator or any of the disposals made by them. I don't think they're bad, I just think they're overpriced. I've had several, and none of them lasted like that GE, which, BTW, was a 1/2 horse model.

Insinkerator, Kenmore, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Emerson and many others are made by Emerson (I think Emerson is the parent company). Waste King, Titan, American Standard, Whirlaway, GE, and many others come from the parent company of Waste King. I haven't researched Moen, a relative newcomer to the market.

I'm on my second Badger 5 Insinkerator. They lasted about 10 years for me and my mom that were installed in our houses at 2001 and 2003. ~ $100 at lowes/HD. They are not quiet but we don't use them that long (2-3 second pulsed to clear the drain) so noise wasn't an issue. Power neither. If it has stopped it was a rock or something hard in there to stop it that probably would have bent the metal prongs if it had more juice.

The main problem with the badgers were rusting up on the inside. None leaked just rusted frozen. Considered the SS version but at $10/year and not knowing what kind of SS they were using (like charbroil SS that rusts in a year) didn't want to pay the upcharge.

Change out is easy when you use the same one and don't need to re-plumb anything.

the waste king 8000 is a real beast.. they make converter flanges to use the badger mounting.

first one I installed... watched a youtube video..

got confused.. had it all installed in about 30min.. including shortening a pipe
(the 1hp model was wider than the installed cheapo badger 1/2hp)

IIRC I paid around $105 for the l-8000 on amazon and under $15 for the flange.

Bones, huh? Never tried, never will. Garbage takes them quite well so I just don't see the need.

Most vegetable/non meat waste goes in the compost, which deals with it handily..

When we bought the house,it had an insinkerstor, and it was a beast. When we redid our kitchen, we went with a Shaw's original porcelain farmhouse sink, and so needed a more shallow unit. Insinkerator came through and had a great and quiet model. No complaints.

But it's good to know that we have options if it should ever go bad...

I've had a Waste King for about eight years without incident. Went through a Badger before that which died quickly. Did the same at my girlfriend's house. My place came with a Kenmore which lasted only a few years. Put a Menard's Barracuda (Anaheim) in at my GF's and it seems to be working OK. Bought an American Standard for a rental property but it's only a few months old.

So based on a very unscientific sample of a handful of replacements, I'd put Waste King ahead of Emerson/Insinkerator, especially the two Badgers which died very quickly. Haven't rechecked Anaheim (Barracuda @ Menards) lately but suspect that tariffs could add a lot to the final price. That American Standard at Costco looks pretty good so far.

Last edited:
I am going to have to save this post. I don't need a disposal just yet but, you never know!
I am looking for one that will outlast me and grind spoons, bones and maybe the occasional slab of concrete now & again!
laugh.gif

Just kidding! I am looking for the same thing everyone else is looking for.

CB

Many areas such as where I live, have decent sewer systems that accommodate food waste from disposals where as other areas which are on septic system, may not!

We also prefer to avoid rodent infestation(raccoon, possum, skunk etc.) while our weekly trash is out by the street awaiting collection, often after being baked in the sun for the week. We only have weekly collection and of course, we'd be throwing food wasted in our trash receptacles the day after our scheduled collection day, to sit an fester one more week.

Last edited:
I was in an apartment for 5 years that had a garbage disposal. I went through at least 5. They were extremely problematic. I even had a drain strainer thing on the sink, too. Just constant problems with it having water run out the bottom into the cabinet.

The one that lasted the longest worked pretty well until the shaft just locked up one day.

I'll never put one in my house.

I've had two disposals in my current home and I've been here 36 yrs.

The first one, the body cracked(non SS) and water leaked everywhere. But, it ran and still ground food. This came with the house when we built it.

The second one is a Kenmore that I installed, made by Insinkerator, 21 yrs now.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
If it has stopped it was a rock or something hard in there to stop it that probably would have bent the metal prongs if it had more juice.

Really curious how a ROCK would get in your disposal??

Our new house has a disposal but we forget it's there so it will probably last forever.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
If it has stopped it was a rock or something hard in there to stop it that probably would have bent the metal prongs if it had more juice.

Really curious how a ROCK would get in your disposal??

Our new house has a disposal but we forget it's there so it will probably last forever.

I can think of at least one way. Beans. Sometimes when you wash em they have little rocks. My wife goes through them one by one. We dont need anyone biting into a rock.

I had a GE batch feed disposal for 23 years but remodeled the kitchen last year and it was too tall for our new low mount sink. It was still working when we replaced it with an Insinkerator. If this one lasts half as long as the GE, I'll be happy.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I've never understood why not just throw all that stuff in the trash and not need a disposal ?

I also don't understand exactly who has room for a disposal in their kitchen sink cabinet.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I've never understood why not just throw all that stuff in the trash and not need a disposal ?

I also don't understand exactly who has room for a disposal in their kitchen sink cabinet.

What do you keep in yours?

I have room in mine if I wanted one.. even the bigger l-8000

and I have a full R/O filter system with 3 gallon water tank under there.

Disposals are good for running anything you'd need to catch in a strainer through. Anything solid or easy to scoop up should go in the trash or compost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back