I-pod to PC "reverse flow" software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know of any free software that would allow songs from the i-pod ( ipod mini, in our case)to be transferred to a hard drive?
I don't care if they'll be stored in itunes or WMP or whatever. (in other words, I don't care which format they end up on the hard drive)

Thanks.

I assume that you want to take itunes (licensed) songs and turn them into universally usable music, right?

I have to wonder if the key is to actually have the right sound card to do high quality capture... as then youll have high capture rates and likely the right software.

JMH

it worked !!!.
I connected our ipod mini to the laptop, opened Idump, and in about 3 seconds, it copied all the songs I selected from the ipod (about 3 GB) onto the "My Music" folder of the laptop; I can play them with itunes now. (WMP can't play them, as they're M4A files, but with my Yamaha headphones and some eq tweaking, they sound great !

I didn't know that you couldn't access the iPod's memory through Windows Explorer. I usually don't like proprietary stuff like that but iPods are such technological marvels that I can forgive them.

One of the biggest missing features on i-tunes is that there's no function to get songs that are already on an i-pod onto a PC. Itunes does only itunes to ipod and not vice versa. That's why that software (i-dump) is so useful. If you check the above link you'll see that Cnet gave it a 5-star rating...it really was very easy to use.

I just asked my brother and he said that he uses Real Player to do what you were trying to do with his Shuffle.

The trick with itunes is to keep a separate folder for all of your MP3's outside of itunes....then drag and drop everything into itunes.

You have to do this right from the start, and don't rip any CD's with itunes. Do it with windows media player.

This way all your music resides separately from itunes (and is also dragged and dropped into itunes) so it can be copied and distributed freely and easily.

Another decent program for dumping ipod music to a computer is called podplayer. It's also a free download, and is good to keep on your ipod (in hard-drive mode) so that you have it wherever your ipod goes, and can dump your ipod contents onto any computer.

Another is PodUtil & is free. All of these though can't turn Itunes purchased songs into a distributable format such as mp3 though.

IDUMP.. sounds like a quick run to the restroom after some taco bell....

I like ipods alot but hate the proprietary so I have
been avoiding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back