I need the best penetrating oil

Kroil works the best in my experience. I’ve mixed up a 50/50 batch of acetone/ATF ... which I put in an old Kroil can.

Seems to work OK. It doesn’t penetrate as deeply as the Kroil. I think the acetone evaporated too quickly, leaving ATF to try and penetrate rusty threads. It’s a lot cheaper than the Kroil, though...

I was swearing by Kroil (in the absence of Ferrosol that i can't get in the USA) but having watched the project farm stuff, i found it to be lacking compared to liquid wrench which i then tried.

I'd had PBBlaster for years, that stuff is poop in comparison.

Cleaning out my parents' home, I discovered a full can of Chesterton SpraSolvo on a shelf in the garage. I used it last week to free wheels that were rusted onto keyed axles on my Billy Goat Brush Cutter. This 1950's vintage SpraSolvo worked very well, and Chesterton still makes the stuff!

Check out the photo of the back of the can where you can see the manufacturer's address is before ZIP codes were invented.

Front SpraSolvo.jpg
Back SpraySolvo.jpg

Used PB blaster, about an hour of soak, a torch and freezing spray to get out seized bleed screws on calipers. Worked well without snapping them in two.

I still can't find kroil anywhere in person.

I've been turning to the torch and quench method. Had to replace an oxygen sensor on my truck. original Y pipe. Super rusty. Was 1:30 of heat, spray , heat , spray. I did manage to get it out, somehow!

At this point, I am not sure penetrating oils do anything other than lubricate the threads once they move. The heat wrench does more than anything else.

I still can't find kroil anywhere in person.

I've been turning to the torch and quench method. Had to replace an oxygen sensor on my truck. original Y pipe. Super rusty. Was 1:30 of heat, spray , heat , spray. I did manage to get it out, somehow!

At this point, I am not sure penetrating oils do anything other than lubricate the threads once they move. The heat wrench does more than anything else.
Per the video above, it's (Kroil) really not that good, liquid wrench really does work better in practise.

Used to use PB Blaster exclusively but it never really worked all that well. Liquid Wrench has worked better for me. Kroil and silikroil are my top picks but if you want to save money and need it from a B&M store just pick up some synthetic ATF and acetone. Mix 50/50 and shake well.

I use Aero Kroil and have found it to be better than other products. You can also get it heavily discounted if you check the manufacturer site Kano Labs frequently. Right now it is (2) King Sized cans for $14.50. That guy paid $15 for one regular sized can, well in that case he paid too much. I also find a can of Kroil lasts a lot longer, it seems to require less of it to do the job.

First of all I let the stuff sit overnight not just three hours. Second, Kroil has loosened exhaust bolts that were rusted down to a nub and looked more like a mound of rust than a nut.

Mix 50/50 ATF and Acetone. They say synthetic ATF but if all ATF is synthetic anyway.. use any ATF that isnt too expensive.

My mechanic buddy used to mix three or four kinds together in a spray bottle. Gave it a name not repeatable in polite company. Not sure if acetone was in there but, to my knowledge, acetone and ATF was supposed to get farther in to stuck things than even PB. Maybe acetone and ATF were in there too. Yes, Acetone evaporates and seems to tend to eat plastics or make them more brittle if it is not mixed with something. Put with another liquid, I am not sure it does, or as fast.

PB has always worked better for me than Liquid Wrench. Yes, some people use Liquid Wrench. It seems to work well, sometimes, when PB, it has to be the most stuck bolt in the world - like, an exhaust bolt on a car that's 30 years old and seen nothing but heat - to really test PB and see what it can do. Even then, PB, by itself, sometimes works. Then you move up to the ATF and acetone mix.

If that doesn't do it, your best penetrating lube is a MAPP gas torch or an Acetylene torch.

Who'd 'ave thunk it?

ATF! Not just for UCL anymore...

Kroil has worked for me since the 70's. LW might be as good or better, but I generally do not go on the prowl when what I'm using is working.
I do let it soak overnight, but I have a lot of time on my hands.

Back