I need some quick advice on Walmart tires.

The generals are a "high performance" tire Not necessarily a good thing in the snow. It's not going to be like a RT43 in the snow. I personally would choose a more plebian option.

The Kumho Platinum LX is a good tire, but weak in the wet and don't know about snow (since I used winter tires when I had them).

I put those Generals on my wife’s Nissan. They are as good as any other tires we have had on it. 99% commuter. Had 2 sets of Kumho, 2 sets of Vogue tires, and now these. Each set only last 30k miles or so. Have 10k on the Generals so far and seem about the same wear as others.

Generals for sure. We've had such poor results from Goodyears purchased at Walmart it's soured me on the brand entirely. Supposedly Goodyear cuts corners on their Walmart tires to meet a price point, or so I've heard. All I know is Goodyears we've bought there have been awful.

Road trip in the winter storm?. I'd have bought used blizzaks :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:.

I wouldnt have bought any of those but I think you got the best of those 3.

Weds night getting Rain(washes away pretreat) >>freezing rain>>>snow

they say 10+inches.. currently balmy sunny 47f and flooding from snow melt.

since we got blasted last time chances are we get a bunch of rain and 3-5" snow but this year is odd so who knows.

Road trip in the winter storm?. I'd have bought used blizzaks :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:.

I wouldnt have bought any of those but I think you got the best of those 3.

Weds night getting Rain(washes away pretreat) >>freezing rain>>>snow

they say 10+inches.. currently balmy sunny 47f and flooding from snow melt.

since we got blasted last time chances are we get a bunch of rain and 3-5" snow but this year is odd so who knows.
Its an important doctors appointment that was scheduled months in advance.

Let us know of your experience with GENERALs' . :unsure:
Initial impressions are they are very smooth and quiet. The traction is significantly better than the Douglas tires. Throughout the life of the douglas tires they would have traction issues especially in the wet if i accelerated to hard from a stop. These general tires just hook up significantly better even on this cold salty pavement. it was 34f today.

General here too. Not a fan of Goodyear for more than one reason and I’d definitely not put Douglas on anything I’ve not had luck with them nor have my customers.

Common false logic, car is low value so should have low value tires then complain about worse performance.

A beater has no difference in tire benefits than a new vehicle, maybe even more important to get better tires to make up for the other deficits. If you drive it slower and accept the trade offs, okay then, don't complain about low end tires.

... just suggesting that your results don't magically change if the vehicle is older. For good results you still, every bit need the same quality tire as a brand new vehicle would have, of an appropriate size of course.

One exception is if you are planning on selling it soon, then of course you don't want a large investment you won't benefit from.

You may not always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get, except black market nonsense.

Long story short: Your tire choice should be based on the driving environment and # of miles per year, not the value of the vehicle. I've gone off on a tangent, you can just ignore this post and drive on. ;)

The General Exclaim would be close to the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4/Goodyear Eagle LS/Bridgestone Turanza EL42 Toyota installed. My second pick would be the Goodyear Reliant. Third pick is the Douglas. Any one of those would be worlds better than a Chineseium tire.

Common false logic, car is low value so should have low value tires then complain about worse performance.

A beater has no difference in tire benefits than a new vehicle, maybe even more important to get better tires to make up for the other deficits. If you drive it slower and accept the trade offs, okay then, don't complain about low end tires.

... just suggesting that your results don't magically change if the vehicle is older. For good results you still, every bit need the same quality tire as a brand new vehicle would have, of an appropriate size of course.

One exception is if you are planning on selling it soon, then of course you don't want a large investment you won't benefit from.

You may not always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get, except black market nonsense.

Long story short: Your tire choice should be based on the driving environment and # of miles per year, not the value of the vehicle. I've gone off on a tangent, you can just ignore this post and drive on. ;)
I was about to put on a set of Yokohama Ascend GTs or General RT43s on a Prius with almost 200K on it - it’s a Prius - it sucks at handling and the ABS/traction control is overly aggressive on it. It’s about to teach beater status but I won’t install Chinese or cheap tires on anything I care for. Costco’s price on a set of Michelins was within striking distance of how much I would pay a mom & pop shop to install them if I bought the other choice from TireRack.

I agree for the most part. With my beaters I always tried to find a happy medium with tires.I never purchased the best tires for the reason of questionable front end and the car imploding a week after I install the tires. I don't put $800 tires on a $1500 car

Back