I need direction to an official document...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a not so far away oil change on our Fusion, I'm going to be mixing 5 quarts of Service Pro oil (SN) with 0.3 quarts of Valvoline conventional (SN). I know that mixing oils isn't a problem at all, and since the car takes 5.3 quarts, I can buy 3 five quart jugs, and only have one extra single quart to get through 3 oil changes. But this time around, I'll be using 5 single quarts of Service Pro oil instead. Both the service pro oil and the VWB meet the required Ford specification for the warranty, but I want to have an official document (either from Ford or the API, or somewhere else) stating in no uncertain words that mixing oils is fine, for the sake of the warranty... in case it somehow ever becomes an issue. The OM only states to use oil that meets the Ford spec, but says nothing regarding the mixing of oils. Any links/articles? I know it shouldn't be a problem, but dealers can and will use everything against you to invalidate your warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I know it shouldn't be a problem, but dealers can and will use everything against you to invalidate your warranty.

How will the dealer ever know that you've used 0.3 quarts of something else? It's not like you have to volunteer this information.

Besides, since the OM does not say not to mix oils, there is no issue, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I know it shouldn't be a problem, but dealers can and will use everything against you to invalidate your warranty.

How will the dealer ever know that you've used 0.3 quarts of something else? It's not like you have to volunteer this information.

Because when I do oil changes for this car, I write down the quantities, type, and brand of oil used. And I keep the empty jugs and bottles too. This is the first new car I've owned; maybe I'm taking it too far, but I wanna be doubly sure I'm keeping good records.

you sure are, but IMO youre overthinking this.

If it is such a big deal, just buy the valvoline and stick with it.

Because when I do oil changes for this car, I write down the quantities, type, and brand of oil used. And I keep the empty jugs and bottles too. This is the first new car I've owned; maybe I'm taking it too far, but I wanna be doubly sure I'm keeping good records.

Don't sweat it. Unless they can prove you broke the engine, there will be no issues with replacement.

A buddy of mine is a Ford Tech, and any engine issues that he has come across have "broken stuff". And he's seen quite a few abused engines out there still running. You'll be fine.
cool.gif

Last edited:
I would just thoroughly drain the bottles, you should get a couple extra ounces out. Most quarts are slightly overfilled. A few ounces under-full wont hurt anything.

If your oil meets the spec and is changed within the recommended intervals brand does not matter. You could technically use 6 different quarts of oil and still be within warranty.

Ummmm, let's see.. this is your first new car and you are cheeping out on the motor oil? Additionally creating a ton of extra work to achieve the 5.3 qt fill requirement and you are concerned with voiding the warranty. You asked here on BITOG for opinions when you acquired the Focus and based on the sound replies you selected oil and a filter that nobody suggested. Why are you running M1 with a M1 oil filter in the 07 Focus?

Keep it simple and go with what will keep your warranty intact without question and what produces good results in UOA and real world results while not breaking your wallet. If you want to do the oil changes yourself, pickup the MC 5w-20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend at your local Autozone as they carry it in the specified 5.3qt jug. It’s actually reasonably priced when compared to doing all of the non-full quart of anything else gyrations. Last time I purchased it was under $20. This should be the same oil that was in the engine when delivered and should be the same oil the dealer uses. While you are there I would stock up on the Motorcraft FL-910S filters as this is the correct filter for both the Focus and the Fusion and has the correct silicone anti-drain back valve. Sometimes Autozone has a combo sale for the MC oil and the MC filter.

If you are shopping oil filters, open the boxes and look at and into the filters from various brands. You’ll find that like oil, there are only a couple of parent manufacturers and it will be very easy to tell regardless of who’s name is on the box, who is manufacturing which filter.

If I had the Fusion and the Focus in the same garage, this is what I would do. Same oil and same filters and zero warranty issues. Adjust the OCI for the way YOU drive the vehicles and what makes you sleep well at night.

I own a 2010 Milan and I searched a lot on these forums before I decided on sticking with MC, at least for the duration of the warranty. The MC oil and filter combination is producing great results and 5.3 jug is just icing on the do-it-yourself cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back