I need a laptop with an optical (DVD) drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in aviation, and the Honeywell aircraft operational software is on CD's or DVD's. I cannot use a Mac, as it's not approved by the FAA for my 2 Honeywell equipped aircraft.

I am also a little bit of a gamer, and as you might expect, need a bit of computing HP.

In years past, I'd simply purchase the best Sager (Clevo) gaming laptop and enjoy the processing power. However, I've been unable to find a 4K screen equipped laptop with optical drive and a good processor/video card.

Sager has an older model available with optical drive, but only 1080 resolution. That's lightyears behind today's best.

I cannot use an external DVD drive, as my "lan-tap" system uses the USB ports for power and the ethernet port for data. There is not enough power left to drive an external optical unit on any laptop.

Dell has an M4800 with internal optical drive, and 4K screen, but the componentry is no better than my older Sager. The processor they use is a 4th gen i7 and only 8g memory. Ugh.

Any suggestions?

why would you want a 4k screen on a laptop?

any games you played would be so slow.

4k gaming slows down 600$ video cards let alone whatever cut down laptop version you would get.

IMO FHD is fine for laptop use a

why would you want a 4k screen on a laptop?

any games you played would be so slow.

4k gaming slows down 600$ video cards let alone whatever cut down laptop version you would get.

IMO FHD is fine for laptop use

some consumer models still come with 1366x768- blah!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
What size screen?

15 or 17 inch.

As for the 4K screen, they are fantastic for my job. The resolution is good enough to display detailed cad drawings, blueprints and wiring diagrams. It simply works!

There is no need to game at 4K on a laptop, I agree. Nor would I expect to do this. That does not mean the 4K screen won't help in other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back