I love it when a plan comes together...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics of my new project vehicle.
1988 Jeep Chereokee Pioneer. 4.0L 4x4.
207,000 mi
Runs like a champ.

Gave her a rattle can pain job since there wasn't much original paint left on the vehicle. Note the piece of computer case cut to fit and siliconed into the broken rear passernger door sail panel window.

My buddy gave it to me. He had it setting in his driveway for 8 months. Wouldn't run (turns out the battery cables were shot, dead shorting across eachother about 1 foot from the battery). Just wanted to get rid of it. So it cost me nothing. I'm just waiting on a duplicate title right now so I can register it ($55) and insure it ($128 for 6 months).

So far total expenditures:
$75 for oil, oil filter, air filter, battery cables, and wiper blades
$90 for new power steering pump and hoses
$110 for all new vacuum lines and CCV setup
Total = $275

Runs like a champ. Starts on the first turn of the key. No smoke, no rough idle. Its going to be a great winter vehicle and a beater to haul things from the home improvement store.

New tires in 2002
New cat in 98
New muffler in 99

Its going to need some new shocks after this winter though. The ones on there ride fine, but are starting to rust through on the dust cover portion that covers the piston.

-

-

What do you think? Perhaps an addition of a vinyl banner across the top of the windshield that says "Urban Assault Vehicle".

Some folks have all the luck "FREE". Looks like a winner to me. What brand and weight of oil did you put in it. Would be a great vehicle for running through all those corn fields.
grin.gif

Right now I've got Rotella 15w40 in it. When it gets colder I'll switch over to Rotella 5w40.

I'm considering having my neighbor who is retired and restores cars for a hobby (just sold a completely redone '68 Camaro RS for $27,000) build me a brush guard for the front in case I hit any deer, other vehicles, small children, etc. He's got a full machine shop in his garage along with welders etc.

Johnny, as for the FREE part. I initially asked him about 3 months ago how much he wanted for it. He said $500. In the condition it was in before I got ahold of it, it wasn't worth even $500.

After a few more months I asked him how much again. He said, and I quote "The price is get it the f*** out of my driveway." I said "Sold."

I love the computer case window substitution.

You should tell your neighbor that "rat rods" are all the rage, and he can build your cow catcher "only if you let him".
grin.gif

Thanks for the compliment on the creative use of old computer cases. The day I did it, I called around to a couple of glass shops and also a couple of junk yards. $100 for new glass, $35 for used.

I said to myself "Where's my angle grinder with the cutting wheel."

If you look really closely you can also see another piece of computer case just below the rear passenger door by the wheel well. There was only one rust hole in the vehicle and it was right there so I out the rusty section until I was into good metal.

Primed it, and sprayed some undercoating behind it and then cut another piece of computer case out to fit the hole and bent it to fit in my bench vise. Then I found some large self tapping screws I had lying around and went to town on it.

Glad I hung onto all those Hewlett Packard 4535 gutted cases I had lying around. They sure came in handy.

This afternoon I ripped the sagging fabric headliner out of it. Screw replacing it or gluing it back up... just yank until it comes all the way down.

Next step, remove the non-functioning A/C and replace the compressor with a dummy pulley. Then I'll have the room I need to route the air intake from the airbox to come out up under the area where the wiper motor sets, since right now the intake is right next to the radiator behind the drivers side headlight.

quote:

Originally posted by Forkman:

This afternoon I ripped the sagging fabric headliner out of it. Screw replacing it or gluing it back up... just yank until it comes all the way down.

Next step, remove the non-functioning A/C and replace the compressor with a dummy pulley. Then I'll have the room I need to route the air intake from the airbox to come out up under the area where the wiper motor sets, since right now the intake is right next to the radiator behind the drivers side headlight.

That's agood maintenance philosophy. Parts you don't have will never fail on you.

Congrats Forkman, thats my kind of economy car. You can afford to buy lots of gas with the savings on the initial cost.

Looks beautiful to me and to your pocketbook too !

Terry

You could probably cut a hole in the hood and make a ram-air setup out of a midi-tower case.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
You could probably cut a hole in the hood and make a ram-air setup out of a midi-tower case.
smile.gif

He can use an old CD drive as a power cup holder.

Well the crankcase is breathing right again. I replace the entire CCV system and all the associated vacuum lines yesterday. Runs even better than before, and now I shouldn't be getting any more oil blowback into the air box.

Its a pretty odd (stupid) setup for crankcase ventilation. PCV valve is built into the valve cover and located inside. Its a non-serviceable part. The only way to replace it is with a new valve cover. That however wasn't the problem. There are two hoses that come off the valve cover. One connected to the PCV valve and the other to a breather tube.

The way that its supposed to function is that a constant vacuum pressure is supposed to pull in fresh (filtered) air from the air box through the breather tube and then the line from the PCV dumps the crankcase vapors into the intake manifold.

The CCV assembly was the original factory parts. The return line to the intake manifold was plugged so instead the crankcase vapors being routed back into the intake manifold, the vapors were instead being routed back through the breather tube because the return line to the manifold was plugged up. This was causing oil to be dumped into the airbox and thus finding its way into the throttle body.

And thanks for the comic suggestions on uses for old computer parts on this vehicle.

I've got one better. I've got some PVC piping and plenty of old computer parts lying around. How about a replica of a crew served .50 cal mounted on the roof complete with fake hatch.

Well, I got the new exhaust partially installed. The old muffler had a gaping hole in the top of it so yesterday I went and bought a Dynomax Thrush glasspack muffler for it. It was only $32 for the glasspack and the clamps and custom made hangers (which I made myself out of galvanized steel plumping pipe strap). I would have went for a regular muffler, but the cheapest I could find was over $60 for a "universal" fit. I didn't install the tailpipe yet, because I wasn't sure exactly what I would need for piping until I got the glasspack installed. Next week I'll be completing the exhaust, and luckily the glasspack is just short enough that I'll be able to run a 90 degree bend off the end and a 3" tailpipe extension and have the exhaust exit just under the rear passenger door. I don't want to go through the hassle of running custom bent tubing up and over the rear axle and out the back.

The glasspack fits better than the OEM style muffler that was on the vehicle. Its small enough in diameter that its tucked almost completely up inside the frame rails of the vehicle.

At idle, and cruise speed it sounds pretty much like a stock muffler. But if you step on it a bit it sounds like there's a big V8 under the hood... mean as ****. The sound fits nicely with the vehicles exterior appearance.

My the worst part was removing the old muffler. I got some nice small burns on my arms and face from the hot sparks flying off the exhaust pipe when I cut into it with my angle grinder... good thing I was wearing safety glasses.

Performance was also slightly increased. Better low end power off the line from the reduction in restriction of the exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back