I knew it!! All new music is the same.

Posted this a while back; worth a listen

Yes, I know if I don't like it I don't have to listen, but when you go into a coffee shop for a fresh cup, you don't expect last nights brew warmed up in a microwave.

For all practical purposes, creating music with the 12-tone chromatic scale that underpins all Western music is really just picking a formula and filling in the blanks.

Write a rock song: Pick a key and play a I-IV-V progression. Intro, solo, and outro in the key or relative minor.

Write a pop song: Pick a key and play a I-V-vi-IV progression.

Want it to be angry? Power chords! Want it sad? Play in the minor scale! Happy? Major scale! Create some tension? Use both major and minor scale! If you're soloing, make sure the first and last note played in a given bar match the chord being solo'd over.

That will get you about 75% of music written since the 1940s.

Western music is a formula.

Some geeks got together and decided upon what it would take to make the worst song in the world. And they came up with this:

Most critics regard it as, at a minimum, interesting.

Learn these 4 chords play any song pop from the last 40 or so years.
If you're a guitar, bass, or keyboard player, sure. The vocal melodies of (most) songs still varies though. I play guitar and yeah, I can start playing plenty of popular songs in about 30 seconds and non-musicians are actually shocked how fast I "learn" a song ! :ROFLMAO:

I never played a musical instrument (but our two sons do), but this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in a very long time. Especially the one posted by simple_gifts. The creator of that video is absolute genius in how they illustrated their point. Incredible.

Scott

Posted this a while back; worth a listen

Yes, I know if I don't like it I don't have to listen, but when you go into a coffee shop for a fresh cup, you don't expect last nights brew warmed up in a microwave.

I never played a musical instrument (but our two sons do), but this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in a very long time. Especially the one posted by simple_gifts. The creator of that video is absolute genius in how they illustrated their point. Incredible.

Scott
I have to agree...amazing assemblage by that guy.

Back