I just bought a 2.4 Dodge Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The price was just to good to pass up....i picked up an SE model for mid 17k range with 7 miles. Whats a good oil for the 2.4 Dodge engine?

Why not sounds like a good deal to me.

I had to look up what a Journey is, sort of like a four door mini van/suv car.

Looks decent for hauling people and goods. I'd like one!

The weakness with those is not the engine but the transmission.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Dodge_Journey.html

We have so many Dodge Journeys at the auctions and as they age the transmissions go kaput. FCA should have never mated the CVT transmission to this two ton vehicle.

My advice is to change the transmission fluid every two years. Do that and you will be well ahead of the defect curve.

Originally Posted by macarose
The weakness with those is not the engine but the transmission.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Dodge_Journey.html

We have so many Dodge Journeys at the auctions and as they age the transmissions go kaput. FCA should have never mated the CVT transmission to this two ton vehicle.

My advice is to change the transmission fluid every two years. Do that and you will be well ahead of the defect curve.

The Journey never came with a CVT. All they got was the 41TE or 62TE, both conventional automatics.

i have a 08 avenger with 222K now with the 2.4. Always ran synthetic oil and ive never had a engine problem
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'd use Pennzoil yellow 5W20 if it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec.

It meets the spec, so does their synthetic oils.

OP- Good luck with your new ride.

The 2.4 should treat you well. It's an older design that has been updated throughout the years which has resulted in a pretty solid and reliable engine. Using any oil meeting the Chrysler spec will give you and long and trouble free life. Allpar has a little write up on the engine if you're looking for some technical details, though I'm not sure the last time the page was updated.

The 2.4 is a solid engine. It will eventually need thermostat housing replacement, the belt systems wear a bit earlier than most, and the electronic throttle body goes bad very regularly. Because of how often these failures happen, there's tons of readily available aftermarket support and the parts are cheap.

Good, practical, solid car at an excellent price. Love the packaging of the Journey, with the spaces under the front passenger seat and the rear floorboards. Lots of space normally wasted in a car of that size opened up for use.

Congrats. I've always like the Journey -- even though they get a bad rap (every magazine hates it). FCA seems to love Pennzoil.

I hope you enjoy your Journey. And many long, trouble free, miles. The mother-in-law has a 2010 with the 3.5L. 100% POS. Needs a timing belt. I checked YouTube. Remove the engine mounts and drop the engine 4 inches? I told her I couldn't do it and it would be expensive, and sell it. Just put a battery in it. Check that out on YouTube and see what's involved with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back