I hit a HUGE pothole...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

...in NYC yesterday morning (before daylight). It nearly knocked the fillings out of my teeth. I drove around the block to see what I hit and it was approx. 10" deep. I haven't gotten a chance to look under the car or at my struts (for leakage) but the car feels OK. I had an alignment done about 3 montha ago and I assume I now need another. The steering wheel is still staight and all feels well but I guess I won't know for sure until I have it checked.
Is an alignment mandatory or sometimes not needed because your wheels were straight?

PS: I stopped this morning to look at the hole (with my digital camera) and they already had it filled.

There are alignment situations that won't make a noticable difference in the way the car drives, but can wear the h*ll out of the tires. Have the alignment checked and have them also check for strut and control arm damage.

I've hit some pretty big potholes without damage, but none that were close to 10" deep.

I'd keep an eye on the tires and get an alignment check done.

I hit one like that doing about 65mph last year with my Grand Prix. Nothing seemed wrong at first but a few weeks later the front wheel bearing on that side started to make noise and needed replacement.

Yes, definitely have the alignment and suspension checked. $90 for an alignment is cheaper than a set of tires.

You should keep records of the date, time, location (pictures if available) and the cost to repair the damage, then fill a claim to city/county department of transportation for reimbursement.

Thanks guys. I'll take it in for an alignment tomorrow. When I called 311 to report the pothole they told me that it was already 'in the system' and then it's repaired within 24 hours (which is a minor miracle in NYC). For these reasons I am sure that if I have damage there will be a record of the repairs made on 4/7/09.

You're not supposed to hit potholes with your car. Usually people drive around and miss them.
LOL.gif
grin2.gif

(just in case you didn't know)

I once hit a hole so hard with my '87 Camaro that the side window defroster grate flew out of the dash pad.

It hit so hard, I later found out that it loosened the ball joint and made the tapered hole in the steering knuckle egg shaped.

Weird thing is that the dealer had a replacement knuckle on the shelf.

I've taken some pretty big hits without damaging anything. If everything feels fine, I'd just keep a closer eye on the tread wear for awhile, and have a good look at everything underneath at the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

Weird thing is that the dealer had a replacement knuckle on the shelf.

I guess you weren't the first to come in with a bad one.

I hit a big one with my '96 SL2 years ago. It was raining heavy at the time so it would have been hard to noitce.

Left a big bump in the tire sidewall so I had to replace it but fortunately the wheel bearing never went out although I was expecting it to.

People in Chicago are filling the potholes on their own streets at their own expense. They are actually getting into legal trouble- it's insane.

I would be concerned with tire damage at his point. If the car's wheel did not move, and it tracks the same as it did before, your alignment is probably OK [fortunately].
If you have the $, a fresh alignment is always great.

Originally Posted By: fordboy
You're not supposed to hit potholes with your car. Usually people drive around and miss them.
LOL.gif
grin2.gif

(just in case you didn't know)

Yes, well, when weaving to avoid Pothole One makes you hit Pothole Two (as so often happens here in The Swamp), whaddaya gonna do?

I hit a huge one under a railroad bridge, there was a dip for clearance and a flooded puddle. Dented my rocker panel behind the front wheel.

Went through there a couple days later and there was a manhole cover where that "pothole" was. Was it missing? Jeez!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back