I Have Changed my Mind on Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
That study uses single pass efficiency so not what current makers claim. It goes without saying less abrasive in the oil causes less wear. What else could it do cause more wear?

Test method doesn't matter really, because no matter what efficiency test is used it's still going to rank the more efficient filters at the top if using the same test procedure. Test methods only matter if you compare the outcome of one test method vs. the other. Besides, the ISO multi-pass test is essentially a continuous looped single pass test since it continually monitors the upstream vs downstream oil cleanliness during the test sequence.

The bottom line is more efficient filters keep the oil cleaner which means less engine wear ... it's really not rocket science.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The bottom line is more efficient filters keep the oil cleaner which means less engine wear ... it's really not rocket science.

Judging from some of the above statements..it seems to be (rocket science)
21.gif

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Judging from some of the above statements..it seems to be (rocket science)
21.gif

Bypass all the hogwash and buy a Premium filter and your good to go.
11.gif

Bottom line: yes, a more efficient oil filter will result in less engine wear, all else being equal. And I agree that a more efficient filter used early in an engine's life will likely delay the onset of significant oil burning. But there are other factors to consider:
More efficient filters catch more particles, load up faster, and *may* require more frequent replacement.
More efficient filters *usually* have less flow/more bypass (high efficiency = more restrictive).
Etc.
This is what matters most to me: How long do I realistically expect my engines to last? My truck has 150k and my car has 74k, neither one burns any noticeable oil and they both run great. I don't go overboard with my maintenance and I don't plan to change that until something comes up. In fact, the truck goes well over the recommended service interval, but I use synthetic oil (conventional is spec'd).
Regular oil/filter changes are just as important as using quality oil/filters... there are tons of engines over 200k miles with conventional oil and economy filters, but their maintenance history is solid.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Bottom line: yes, a more efficient oil filter will result in less engine wear, all else being equal. And I agree that a more efficient filter used early in an engine's life will likely delay the onset of significant oil burning. But there are other factors to consider:
More efficient filters catch more particles, load up faster, and *may* require more frequent replacement.
More efficient filters *usually* have less flow/more bypass (high efficiency = more restrictive).

Etc.

Not many fit what's in red ... especially in today's world with full synthetic media. Most (except for known few) are high efficiency and have long OCI use ratings (ie, high holding capacity).

Perhaps you ought to research Stratopore, Nanofibre and Nanonet before making such a ridiculous blanket statement about " more efficient filters load up faster and have less flow".

Etc.
This is what matters most to me: How long do I realistically expect my engines to last? My truck has 150k and my car has 74k, neither one burns any noticeable oil and they both run great. I don't go overboard with my maintenance and I don't plan to change that until something comes up. In fact, the truck goes well over the recommended service interval, but I use synthetic oil (conventional is spec'd).
Regular oil/filter changes are just as important as using quality oil/filters... there are tons of engines over 200k miles with conventional oil and economy filters, but their maintenance history is solid.

Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back