I have a new tire buying strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I agree with the strategy to the extent that I believe paying for high mileage tires is a bad idea unless you really pile on the miles. I disagree to the extent of buying "the cheapest possible tires". Better to buy reasonably priced tires that offer good characteristics but only OK mileage. Plan on changing every four years.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I think I agree with the strategy to the extent that I believe paying for high mileage tires is a bad idea unless you really pile on the miles. I disagree to the extent of buying "the cheapest possible tires". Better to buy reasonably priced tires that offer good characteristics but only OK mileage. Plan on changing every four years.

That's wisdom.

I don't know if they still say this, but Michelin has stated that all warranties and the tire lifetime was limited to 7 years. I use that to knowledge to cap what I pay for in tires when comparing them. I won't pay extra for a high mileage warranty tire if I can't use that mileage within 7 years.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I use that to knowledge to cap what I pay for in tires when comparing them. I won't pay extra for a high mileage warranty tire if I can't use that mileage within 7 years.

Good point...I've never gotten the full mileage on a tire here on hot south Florida shell-embedded highways...typically 55% or 2.5 years from tires...so getting tires @ half-price means I need to get 1.5 years out of them at best...and this...I don't have to wait 'til they get to dangerous tread depth (2/32) to get "new" ones.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I don't know if they still say this, but Michelin has stated that all warranties and the tire lifetime was limited to 7 years. I use that to knowledge to cap what I pay for in tires when comparing them. I won't pay extra for a high mileage warranty tire if I can't use that mileage within 7 years.

I think it's 6 years (Michelin's warranty anyway).

Originally Posted By: grampi} Bridgestone somehow just stay quiet their entire life. [/quote

I've never had any brand or model of tires that stay quiet throughout their entire lifecycle...they've all gotten louder as they've aged...don't know if I've ever had a set of Bridgestones though...

I got a set of oldish Bridgestones with my current (used) car. That's how I usually get tyres.

They work OK, but I don't like the fact that they don't show a maximum pressure on the casing. Seems a bit evasive to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back