I had forgotten how good Collinite 476s is!

Today is wash day for my Kia Soul and after drying I started waxing it with Griots Ceramic spray wax. Nice wax but the cloth just drags on the paint. Needs 24 hours to fully cure too.
I got disgusted with the Griots half way through the wax job and opened up a 10 year old tin of 476 I had.
First off, after all these years the wax was still fine, soft and ready to be used. I sprayed a round terry cloth applicator with distilled water, swirled it around in the tin and went to waxing, picking up the product up as fast as I was putting it down. Incredibly easy and the shine was better than anything I’ve used lately. And then there’s that slick finish Griots couldn’t give me. Why the hell did I give this stuff up?
I used the 476 religiously on my old 330ci and somewhere along the line I guess I got enticed with all the new spray waxes that started coming out. Don’t get me wrong, they’re good but I think I’m going to hang out with the Collinite for a while, I really like the look of it. Next wash job I’ll do the whole car with the 476 and post pictures.

Collinite makes some nice stuff. Personally, I've found the 476 to be a bit oily, but I've still used it many times on our Honda Element because of the supposed durability.

If you want a halfway step between a paste wax and a spray on wax, try Collinite 945. I put 945 on the noses of our cars almost every time I wash them. Make for easy bug removal.

Scott

Reactions: JC1
I like the ease and great results of 845. ;)
1660524408542.jpeg

Sounds like you should have clayed and or iron decon'd first to remove bonded contaminants on the paint. Spray wax is more sensitive to that. The low tech Collinite just waxed over all that stuff.

I agree with the first sentence.

In no way is any spray wax “more sensitive.” To anything. Including “that.”

And Collinite is far from being “low tech.” That’s why it’s been a “go to” top of the line premium wax for discerning car folk who appreciate a consistently high quality wax.

I think the best option is a good pre clean of the surface and wax of your choice as a base. Then you can use spray waxes as a way to maintain and extend protection in between full detail waxing. I've never depended on a spray wax as a main source of paint protection - just a supplement.

I used collinite 845 and also 476 super double coat on my last Chevelle show car. The finish was black and it really shined like a mirror in the sunlight plus the finish lasted a long time. This is at Super Chevy 2009. I sold this one in 2018 after enjoying it for 12 years.
3417130-900-0.jpg

The car is silver and has been clayed twice, paint is smooth.
Does it pass the baggie test?

I’ve found that it is difficult to get a even application of spray sealants using the spray/wipe method. Sometimes you need to spread the product using a microfiber block to get more even coverage.

I've found that when using spray sealants, it's best to mist a bit on to the microfiber towel first, then the surface. First few passes just gently glide and spread the product around, then go over it. By the second pass it will smoothly spread out. All products have a small learning curve to them once you get it down it's very simple.

I've found that when using spray sealants, it's best to mist a bit on to the microfiber towel first, then the surface. First few passes just gently glide and spread the product around, then go over it. By the second pass it will smoothly spread out. All products have a small learning curve to them once you get it down it's very simple.
Since I can't stoop and bend etc... to really detail them anymore , we use a neigborhood drive thru car wash that we joined and run both cars thru them as often as we like. We have a white/pearl + a gun metal grey Honda Accords in the garage. We also use the car wash ceramic wax coat a few times a month. Once they are nice & clean and cool in the garage, wife and I will quick spray (Mothers or Meguiars detailer) with those microsoft towels. What I like about them is you spray them on and wipe off right then and there. No waiting for the product to dry first. Really makes those paint jobs scream. They now have so many new modern car detail products on the shelves at stores, its probably a challenege to some folks to chose what to buy. When I first got into the car show hobby I would cruise those Professional Detail Shops and buy all kind of products etc... I eventually learned there is no need to go after all those expensive type waxes / polishes / glazes etc.... when you can get just as good stuff much cheaper at Walmart or Auto Parts stores. Used to have to order collinite as they are not stocked in stores around me. Collinite products worked so well and order of a couple of their products would last me a very long time.

Today is wash day for my Kia Soul and after drying I started waxing it with Griots Ceramic spray wax. Nice wax but the cloth just drags on the paint. Needs 24 hours to fully cure too.
I got disgusted with the Griots half way through the wax job and opened up a 10 year old tin of 476 I had.
First off, after all these years the wax was still fine, soft and ready to be used. I sprayed a round terry cloth applicator with distilled water, swirled it around in the tin and went to waxing, picking up the product up as fast as I was putting it down. Incredibly easy and the shine was better than anything I’ve used lately. And then there’s that slick finish Griots couldn’t give me. Why the hell did I give this stuff up?
I used the 476 religiously on my old 330ci and somewhere along the line I guess I got enticed with all the new spray waxes that started coming out. Don’t get me wrong, they’re good but I think I’m going to hang out with the Collinite for a while, I really like the look of it. Next wash job I’ll do the whole car with the 476 and post pictures.
I LOVE all collinite waxes.....
Try the 915......that stuff looks AMAZING on dark corrected paints.
When I'm not in the collinite mood I like TW ceramic spray. I can apply much quicker.

That's what I do with the griots sio2.
The 476 I apply very very thin, and a small area at a time. I don't really let it dry before buffing.

After trying/using different waxes and sealants over the years I’ve settled on Collinite 845. I bought a lot of the 476s tins and bottles of 845 when they were on close out years ago at harbor freight.

I made the mistake of applying the 476 too thick and waited to long to remove it, I thought my shoulder was going to fall off trying to remove it.

After I got my PC 7424 it was easier to use the 845. I sold some and gave some 476 away and just use the 845 now. Easy on, easy off and 6 month durability in MA weather

After trying/using different waxes and sealants over the years I’ve settled on Collinite 845. I bought a lot of the 476s tins and bottles of 845 when they were on close out years ago at harbor freight.

I made the mistake of applying the 476 too thick and waited to long to remove it, I thought my shoulder was going to fall off trying to remove it.

After I got my PC 7424 it was easier to use the 845. I sold some and gave some 476 away and just use the 845 now. Easy on, easy off and 6 month durability in MA weather
Im perplexed at your statement "After I got my PC 7424 it was easier to use the 845" .

I beleive you meant to type 476s as the 845 does not require any use of a DA and is most likely the easiest to use non spray wax ever to exist.

Im perplexed at your statement "After I got my PC 7424 it was easier to use the 845" .

I beleive you meant to type 476s as the 845 does not require any use of a DA and is most likely the easiest to use non spray wax ever to exist.
I typed what I meant to type

I know it is easy to use, that’s why it has been my go to wax for the past few years now. After I shake it up, I squirt some on a red Lake Country pad and apply it. Remove with a micro fiber Bonet over a lambs wool pad.

I do have the 3 inch pads and can fit that in the tin of 476 but I like the 845 better.

Back