I Guess My Car Is In Good Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got Toyota Techstream working on my laptop with the $60 knockoff Mangoose cable.

No current or pending codes on any of the onboard computers.
cool.gif

Results of the "Health check":

PriusHealthCheck.jpg

I must say, I am blown away by the capabilities of the factory scan tool. This is in an entirely different league than your $150 code reader or even many aftermarket scan tools. The amount of information and live data you can get is incredible.

Plus, you can easily do sensor calibrations and tests. I was able to do the linear valve offset and zero point calibrations for the Prius without any difficulty at all. The compensation tire pressure feature is quite neat as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
With only 18k I'd HOPE there are no problems with your car!

I'd guess that most issues (that are not durability related) are going to show up within the first 3/36k so I would consider it normal to have a few issues.

Are you telling me that after spending $60 on the cable, you were able to do that? Did the software just happened to land on your laptop?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you telling me that after spending $60 on the cable, you were able to do that? Did the software just happened to land on your laptop?

Basically. The software can be found online.
wink.gif
wink.gif

That's pretty cheap Critic! The Honda rip-off equivalent (Honda Interface Module) and the HDS software is around US$160 on ebay and offers similar capabilities.

I'm going to check this out, as there are 4 Camry's and a Highlander in the family and I have been looking for some good diagnostic software...Hmm, my comp cant speak Russian, hope I'm not d/ling a problem.

Originally Posted By: robshelton
I'm going to check this out, as there are 4 Camry's and a Highlander in the family and I have been looking for some good diagnostic software...Hmm, my comp cant speak Russian, hope I'm not d/ling a problem.

Might want to find another link...
shocked.gif

Just looked at your maintenance log - are you running 89 octane gas in it? I thought Prius calls for 87? Any benefit from 89?

Originally Posted By: dkrivosheyev
Just looked at your maintenance log - are you running 89 octane gas in it? I thought Prius calls for 87? Any benefit from 89?

I only ran 89 for a few tanks. The results were inconclusive so I went back to 87. I may try it again eventually.

Can you modify the battery use schedule? For example, the newer Camry uses the battery to higher speeds and more often. The result is a few more MPG's.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Can you modify the battery use schedule? For example, the newer Camry uses the battery to higher speeds and more often. The result is a few more MPG's.

That's true with the Gen III prius as well. But no, battery use schedule definitely cannot be modified because the charge level is critical to its life.

I would want to minimize cycles on the battery. The tighter the range of voltage and the fewer the cycles, the longer the life.

Sure we have seen some 150k+ prius batteries, but use likely dictated that for those very reasons.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I would want to minimize cycles on the battery. The tighter the range of voltage and the fewer the cycles, the longer the life.

Sure we have seen some 150k+ prius batteries, but use likely dictated that for those very reasons.

Obviously but that would defeat the purpose of the design. If you do not agree with having the battery as part of the vehicle, then go buy something else.

Prius batteries seem to be lasting 150k without any problems for the most part. We're starting to see some failures on the Gen II forum, some from those who live in mountainous regions. Overall those who buy these cars should expect the battery to require replacement at some point in the 150-250k window. Luckily cost is quite reasonable at < $3k with some research.

It wouldn't necessarily defeat the purpose of the vehicle. It might mean 45 vs 48 mpg, with an extra 10k cycles. Particularly for mountainous and similar situations, where depth of discharge is more severe, this is why early failure is seen.

3k certainly cuts into/destroys ROI faster than a loss of a couple mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back