I got screwed at the auto repair shop, but what can you do.

Full disclosure, when he mentioned the Inspection I was in a noisy environment, maybe he said that it would cost 110, and I missed it. I don't think I did miss it but anyway....

Still missed the 2 things I know the vehicle needs soon, flex pipe and rear control arm bushings.

Full disclosure, when he mentioned the Inspection I was in a noisy environment, maybe he said that it would cost 110, and I missed it. I don't think I did miss it but anyway....

Still missed the 2 things I know the vehicle needs soon, flex pipe and rear control arm bushings.
If you don't think you'll use this shop again, I would go back and politely explain you missed their pricing for the inspection (many places do those for free) and tell them you'd like at least half the money back. That seems fair for both sides if you consider it a legit misunderstanding. If the place gives you back all of the money, they are a stand up place in my book at least when it comes to billing and charges, if they give half back they still conceded that an error on their part took place. Good luck man.

Its total BS that the tank has to be dropped to service the fuel pump. Even the AMC Jeep Grand Wagoneer had an access cover. BMWs were in the trunk. That said, I only know about Jeep and BMW gas tanks is because I needed to be. So far, I am blissfully ignorant of the Camry's inner workings. :cool:

Fixed in one shot, it was hot you were tired not much to complain about. Auto repair is not cheap these days. Finding someone that can complete a job w/o comebacks and tossing parts at it at your expense can be a daunting task, especially in this area.

I manage a small retail garage. I’m sorry you will be offended, but I am SO tired of ‘mechanics’ - backyard or professional, telling me how much a job should cost.
$700 doesn’t sound unreasonable for a tank drop/fuel line repair, it isn’t easy work. If it was, you would have done it, but you didn’t - why, because it is hard. Hard costs money.
It not a matter of being easy or not easy, it's a matter of std hours for the job and also not charging $100/ hr. and 50% over charging for parts.
And also giving fair estimates.
And yes I am one of those former shop foreman and also a shade tree and a nice barn with a lift guy :)
Things did get expensive back in the early 80's when Atlantic Richfield and others started jacking up rents on filling stations.
They had a plan to drive them out and start up that mini-mart model and axe the service bays. Yep, I got burnt by that. I pulled in a lot to jobs from the underhood inspections at a full service filling station.
- Ken

Fwiw I am a former ASE Certified Master Tech with dealership experience, I have always done my own work
You are former ASE then you know what I will tell you. I am a guy just like you sound. ALWAYS done most of my work at home. Can not anymore due to health issues so I MUST pay guys I know to come by or bring vehicle places at time. Friends with a couple Service Managers and Dealership Techs who keep me informed most of time on what the latest things going on are. One of the last things a manager told me was how high the cost of repair is going to keep rising because they have a hell of a time finding young men who want to train and then stick with those good paying jobs. Plus just in general overhead + EVERYTHING else is going up in cost. For instance if you bring a vehicle in to dealership these days you can look at your ticket and billing break down and see something that has changed. The cost of labor is getting close to almost identical to the materials costs!? Tough to accept when you can't "do it ourselves anymore." I know what u dealing with.

My opinion is that they're more parts changers and less technicians. You pay for diagnostic of 1 hr. and they read code without ever reading the tree. When the light comes back on, clear code then on third trip new diagnostic charge since not related to the first code.
Give an example 2012 Altima my sister has AutoZone read code then told her she needed fuel pump so she brings it to me with there diagnosis. Bad spring on spark plug wire where someone tuned up and spring was bent so intermittent miss.
2018 Caravan transmission funky was loose air tube no codes.
I am disabled from working on cars and it was bad while I was doing it but seems to have gotten worse.

I have to drop the tank on my Cherokee for the 3rd time in 3 years. I had to take it out in late 2018 to do some welding on the unibody. Thought I should replace the fuel pressure regulator but I didn't. Good thing I didn't, a few months later I caught a branch with the driveshaft and it swung up and broke the regulator off - sprayed gas everywhere. Dropped it again to replace the regulator. Now the check valve in the regulator has failed so it has to come down for yet another regulator.

My opinion is that they're more parts changers and less technicians. You pay for diagnostic of 1 hr. and they read code without ever reading the tree. When the light comes back on, clear code then on third trip new diagnostic charge since not related to the first code.
Give an example 2012 Altima my sister has AutoZone read code then told her she needed fuel pump so she brings it to me with there diagnosis. Bad spring on spark plug wire where someone tuned up and spring was bent so intermittent miss.
2018 Caravan transmission funky was loose air tube no codes.
I am disabled from working on cars and it was bad while I was doing it but seems to have gotten worse.
Yeah I worked my body into a damaged mess from years crawling in , on and under autos and industrial machinery for over 40 years. Sometimes I think about all that and can't believe what I was once capable of. Lots of that work in intense heat and had to wear thick heavy flame retardent uniforms when I was doing it "on the clock!" and not for friends, family or myself. I loved it though, the sense of accomplishment and the smiles and thanks from folks I never charged enough to profit off of. Just was happy to help someone as people had done for me all my life. Lots of mechanics get bad rap places but there are many who are not only great at it but good people.

Back