I found this interesting, regarding the cold...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has taken a hit. But it also illustrates the ignorance of many EV buyers. On a news show last evening, titled, "EVs Having Difficulty This Winter", a gentleman interviewed while he was sitting in line waiting for a spot at a charging station during a white-out somewhere, said...."If i would have known this car suffered range depletion during the cold, i wouldn't have bought it."

I believe there's a lot of this going on.
I saw this with ICE cars, too. Literally people never changed the oil, stuff like that. They just didn't know oil needed changing. Don't gauge things on the botton 1% of the population. You'll be sad.

Wild. I had no issues.

The Fortune article kind of explained it. They interviewed one new Tesla driver in Michigan (a U-M student) who was frustrated when it took a while to warm up to temperature for fast DC charging. Apparently at 9% where she didn't have a parking spot to charge. But then they talked to someone who navigated to a Tesla Supercharger and noted that it was charging almost immediately at close to the rate it would during the summer.

The people who will be successful will be those who familiarize themselves with proper charging procedure. Definitely navigate to a DC fast charger - even when the temperatures are warm. When I was helping my dad with his new Model 3 (didn't have his home charging setup yet), I headed out to a 72 kW "Urban Supercharger" but was frustrated when it was only charging at around 20 kW. I knew where it was and just drove there. But later I figured out that it helped to use the navigation system since that prepped the battery.

However, for those who only charge at home or work using Level 2 (or even Level 1) AC charging, this isn't going to be an issue. It's an issue when charging at higher current, where obviously it needs to be warmed up.

Last edited:
The Fortune article kind of explained it. They interviewed one new Tesla driver in Michigan (a U-M student) who was frustrated when it took a while to warm up to temperature for fast DC charging. Apparently at 9% where she didn't have a parking spot to charge. But then they talked to someone who navigated to a Tesla Supercharger and noted that it was charging almost immediately at close to the rate it would during the summer.

The people who will be successful will be those who familiarize themselves with proper charging procedure. Definitely navigate to a DC fast charger - even when the temperatures are warm. When I was helping my dad with his new Model 3 (didn't have his home charging setup yet), I headed out to a 72 kW "Urban Supercharger" but was frustrated when it was only charging at around 20 kW. I knew where it was an just drove there. But later I figured out that it helped to using the navigation system since that prepped the battery.

However, for those who only charge at home or work using Level 2 (or even Level 1) AC charging, this isn't going to be an issue. It's an issue when charging at higher current, where obviously it needs to be warmed up.
Exactly. 120V or 240V won't benefit from warming the battery. If anything it's just the opposite. It may be enough to keep the battery warm when charging just enough to help with range when departing, but neither of these charging methods are setting speed records.

Reactions: Ws6
AG, the title says EV batteries won't charge but the article says no such thing.
"WLS reported that drivers waited hours in Oak Brook for a charge to their electric vehicles."

Clickbait for the win.

This is basically the same story being regurgitated.

This was interesting.

In Oak Brook, another Chicago suburb, a driver told Fox32 he waited six hours over two days at a charging station and still had no charge in his Tesla.

How did that work, or not exactly?

Heres all the DC fast chargers when I center in Oakbrook Chicago area from 150KW and up according to plugshare.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 3.51.57 PM.jpg

This is basically the same story being regurgitated.

This was interesting.

In Oak Brook, another Chicago suburb, a driver told Fox32 he waited six hours over two days at a charging station and still had no charge in his Tesla.

How did that work, or not exactly?

Heres all the DC fast chargers when I center in Oakbrook Chicago area from 150KW and up according to plugshare.
"Waiting in line" does not sell; "Batteries won't charge" does. Get "Tesla" in there for extra credit; "Elon" or "Musk" and you are guaranteed to get attention.

Marketing 101.

This isn't a Tesla problem or an EV problem. This is an owner problem.
I can state that most EVs would have been fine in the cold we've had this week with my 50-60 miles of daily use since we have a house and a garage and I would have charged the car every night, so no running out of juice issues.
That some relying upon public charging stations had problems along with those who allowed charge to reach low levels while far from home, then that's on them.
Even Fox News accurately forecast the coming weather and planning is a part of life.
That one of the usual suspects promulgated this thread and then in concert with others continued to spew their usual invective is of no surprise.
Why do some members find the very idea of EVs so threatening?

I can state that most EVs would have been fine in the cold we've had this week with my 50-60 miles of daily use since we have a house and a garage and I would have charged the car every night, so no running out of juice issues.
That some relying upon public charging stations had problems along with those who allowed charge to reach low levels while far from home, then that's on them.
Even Fox News accurately forecast the coming weather and planning is a part of life.
That one of the usual suspects promulgated this thread and then in concert with others continued to spew their usual invective is of no surprise.
Change is bad in some people's eyes and change brings anger even if it doesn't effect them. The thoughts of what could happen 10-15 years from now conjures so much fear that you get a babbling incoherent angry response. What no one wants to admit is that massive inefficient vehicles are causing the problem more than anything, but the 1%er lifestyle of towing is so above the average person that they feel attacked and then claim to be middle class with their campers and boats, whereas if they were a bit more modest and would just shut up about EVs which are shifting fuel economy standards to the point that they could continue their manufactured middle class lifestyles, no one would be affected. The problem is that in their minds it's better to complain about the person driving their $40k EVs while they drive to the grocery store in ther $70k poser pickup trucks complaining that the EV driver is the problem.

Of course this post will cause much anger here because they know it's true, but refuse to admit their own gluttonance and continue to call me the affluent EV owner, where neither of my cars included match the cost of any of their vehicles, not withstanding the boats and campers. Yet I'm the elitist in my economy EV and hatchback. Funny how language can shape the conversation completely devoid of fact.

This instance is mostly driver error and being unprepared for the wait to warm the batt.

This manifested itself as "the car wont charge, or the charger is down" when what was happening was the battery was heating so it could take a charge. (FWIW this part of the process is ameliorated greatly by cobalt, but no one wants that anymore)

Combine this with people squatting on chargers taking hours to charge to 100%, then add Uber/Lyft drivers doing the same parking at chargers and throw in a few that were actually down and it's a recipe for trouble.

There does seem to be more of an issue with the base short range 3 which has a weaker battery heater than the other versions and this could cause an even longer wait time if starting from a cold soaked battery. This is something I'm curious to drill down into more, but actual conversation here is almost impossible.

It's not a thought free experience as some moan about, and some will never be able to wrap their heads around the slightest preparation, but the majority seem to have no or few problems.

out of spec went to the chicago ev stations, and one of his thoughts was that alot of issues were partly due to uber and lyft drivers who should provide their drivers with separate company only charging locations.

out of spec went to the chicago ev stations, and one of his thoughts was that alot of issues were partly due to uber and lyft drivers who should provide their drivers with separate company only charging locations.
They're not a separate company though, only contractors. They're not obligated to supply charging only because their business model does not specify EVs. All they do is offer a platform for people to offer a service in exchange for money.

They're not a separate company though, only contractors. They're not obligated to supply charging only because their business model does not specify EVs. All they do is offer a platform for people to offer a service in exchange for money.
i agree, and i wouldnt hold my breath on this finding being recognized by uber/lyft.

I was wondering this myself.
BITOG's strength is its incredible knowledge base and willingness to freely share experiences.
It is disappointing to me that some have a "my way or the highway" attitude, but it is what it is.

I have 5+ years of EV ownership; that makes me reasonably qualified to speak to ownership, good and bad.
This thread speaks to my #1 question to prospective customers, "How ya gonna charge?"

The Chicago incidents (hopefully no one was hurt or worse) should be a wake up call to anyone who ventures out in inclement weather in an unprepared vehicle of any kind. Going out in deadly weather in an EV with a low state of charge and not knowing where you are gonna charge is a recipe for disaster!
But it does make for some great clickbait, so there's that. Fodder for those who choose to use it for their own opinions or biases. There is important information from the Chicago freeze if you are willing to look at it objectively.

My Model 3 works for me; that doesn't mean it will work for you. And it won't work for anyone under the wrong circumstances; no vehicle will. Except maybe my Oldsey; it's pushing 59 years old so it must be doing something right. 7:75x14 bias ply tires for the win!

Hey, by the way, how many issues were there at gas stations with cars dying in Chicago during that cold spell?😂

Hundreds of flights were canceled and delayed because fuel trucks weren't running. I was on one of them.

They weren't electric.

I even started a thread about a model 3 not being a great cab in the winter.

Last edited:
I have had some super slow pumps on occasion. Always in severe cold. But pumps are ubiquitous, and it is easy to simply move on to another one nearby, or go get a cup of coffee* in the warmth.

*Most gas station coffee is atrocious, however, at the Maplefields in the center of Stowe, VT, which was a Mobil station, the coffee was excellent; fresh brewed Green Mountain Coffee in a wide variety of roasts and flavors. Always fresh, always hot, and always $1.29 for a large cup.

And I always saw someone I knew in town. It’s still there. Feel free to enjoy - though, with inflation, it might be up to $1.50 these days…
Just filled up there tonight. Skipped the coffee.

AG, the one point that stood out to me was:
"It’s also possible that those who were routing to the out-of-service Superchargers were doing so out of memory. Perhaps those individuals rely primarily on Supercharging due to not having a charger of their own at home."

Teslas practically scream at you when you need to charge. They even tell you which Supercharger location to use based on available chargers.

The inside ev's article info was lifted from Out of Spec's (Kyle Connor) video which I also watched.
Kyle does a pretty good job, but his lack of using a character generator in his summations (unlike bjorn) is annoying.

If a person just drove to a charger from memory without setting it as a destination then the car wouldnt condition the battery for the charge and that wasn't helping, of course thats speculation but it's logical.

Kyle also tested charging in freezing weather years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back