I Found A Dead Scorpion

They say for every dead scorpion you find in your home there are 100 active breeders in the walls, under the floorboards, under the toilet seat, under your mattress, and in your drawers - pretty much everywhere. :oops:

By the way, did this dead scorpion show the bitemarks of the lethal centipede that preys on scorpions?

That’s probably a myth, but I will take 10 scorpions over 100 fleas any day. I do not miss daily life in Louisiana. No offense to current residents, I am a former avid ditch bicycle jumper.

The Northeast has it's issues for sure but it is one of the places in M'Rica where you can lay down in a field and not have to worry (too much) about anything that'll kill ya!

That’s probably a myth, but I will take 10 scorpions over 100 fleas any day. I do not miss daily life in Louisiana. No offense to current residents, I am a former avid ditch bicycle jumper.
It's a fact of life out here in the desert that most all the insects you come across are hostile to man.

But the upside to that is in 32 years out here I have yet to get a mosquito bite.

Back in Illinois 10 minutes after the Sun went down, you would be eaten alive.

I used to spend my youth(5-8) in Kuwait taunting them . Normal stuff for late 1970s youth! My mum would freak out saying they were poisonous but never managed to get stung .

Difficult to tell from that view (ventral). I do know that the Desert Bark Scorpion Centruroides Sculptuatuas, the most venomous scorp in the US live there, but so do comparatively harmless (sting like a bee) species like the Stripped Barked Scorpion, Centroides Vitattus, and the Giant Hairy Scorpion, Hadrurus arizonensis (a terrerium favorite).

No scorpion sting is painless so yeah, check your shoes before slipping them on.

In my light fixture! I took a shower this morning, and went into my closet to get a tee shirt, and I just happened to look up at the light fixture, and it was in there.

I have no idea how it got in there. There are no holes in the fixture where it could have crawled in from the attic. And the globe is a close fit to the brass part of the fixture. It looks like he's been up there a while.

And I've had no problems with scorpions in the garage, or anywhere else on the property. This is the first one I've seen since we moved here. Supposedly the smaller they are the worse their venom is. I've never been stung, so I can't say either way.

View attachment 179555
Was it still alive? I lived in the desert for years but never saw a scorpion. I once saw something resembling a scorpion, but it didn’t have the same tail and was a bit larger.

It's a fact of life out here in the desert that most all the insects you come across are hostile to man.

But the upside to that is in 32 years out here I have yet to get a mosquito bite.

Back in Illinois 10 minutes after the Sun went down, you would be eaten alive.
Wow, I am sure glad I don't live in LHC.

check your shoes before slipping them on.
An actor on TV [WWII movie in the So. Pacific] set his shoes down on the ground.
My uncle, who spent time in the Pacific Tropics, pointed out that critters climb into your shoes.

Re UD's post #5: Do scorpions fluoresce under black light?

I will say the only time I ever had to worry about scorpions was living in Arizona. I had one apartment where I think I'd find 1-2 a month. Still wouldn't say I'm comfortable dealing with them, but a tornado vacuum works wonders for sucking them up and flinging them outside.

Squorpions do glow under black light. The easiest way to catch them is to stick a piece of packaging tape to them and fold it over. They can squeeze through tiny gaps and survive being stomped.

Way less scary than mosquitoes

Also there's camel spiders that eat them and look like children of the devil.

Camel spider/wind scorpion

Biggest-Spiders_-Camel-Spider-e1653849477819-768x401.jpg

Wow, rainy Seattle doesn't seem so bad. Nothing worse than a bee sting to worry about here.

None or next to none:
Ticks and their diseases (Lyme, Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever, Babesiosis, etc)
Fire, crazy or other biting ants
Scorpions
Black Widow, Brown Recluse or other super nasty spiders
Valley Fever
Mosquito born diseases
Venomous reptiles
Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac

Scolopendra worry me. They scuttle and skitter and if they are over a few inches long they are rather ghastly. Don't go to Peru!

In my light fixture! I took a shower this morning, and went into my closet to get a tee shirt, and I just happened to look up at the light fixture, and it was in there.

I have no idea how it got in there. There are no holes in the fixture where it could have crawled in from the attic. And the globe is a close fit to the brass part of the fixture. It looks like he's been up there a while.

And I've had no problems with scorpions in the garage, or anywhere else on the property. This is the first one I've seen since we moved here. Supposedly the smaller they are the worse their venom is. I've never been stung, so I can't say either way.

View attachment 179555
The only Scorpio that really warrants medical attention is the Arizona bark Scorpion

Back