I dented my filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I have that set as well.

They are lifesavers. Work for TONS of other jobs as well where more torque than a hand is capable of is needed, but you don't want to scratch/gouge the piece that needs to come off.

I always hand tighten and remove my filters, with the exception of my Camaro. Every other vehicle has an oil filter location that it's darn near impossible to get a wrench on. I HATE when I get a new car, because I generally have to fight with the first oil change to get Sucky-Lube's filter off.

I wear the disposible latex gloves when I change the oil and they add enough grip to usually remove the filter without a tool. I have to be careful about tightening them as well-I'm able to get enough grip on them to overtighten with gloves on.

I have the strap wrenches from Sears. Forget about the small blue one for oil filters; a slight force will snap it. The bigger one is a little better but the rubber stretches so much I never have enough radial room to use it on the oil filter.

My favorite tool for oil filter removal, if you have room for it, is a Vise Grip chain wrench. It will not slip and it's easy to use.

I use the endcap style that fit over the filter
end and turn it with a ratchet..
I oil the gasket and tighten it as much as I can by hand without a hernia.. it always comes off with
hard effort(by hand) or easy with the wrench.

I did a change on a hyundai accent the other day
I had to use a 18" breaker bar on the filter
wrench... AND IT WAS THE ******* DEALER who did it.

I'll only tighten them by hand. Sometimes I'll use a rubber jar opener for extra grip.

I have a whole drawer full of various filter tools. But my favorite is a nifty little K-D one that snaps on a 3/8 drive and has three gear driven claws that tighten into the can. The harder you turn, the harder the claws bite. I've never had a filter beat that one.

I have a oil filter lock jaw. If you grip it tightly, it will dent it, but it works great for stubborn removals. adjustable to fit any filter.

Filters are a pain in the ***. Among the top pain in the *** filter locations:

Chevy C/K series + Suburbans with 4wd (88+ or 92+ burbs)- oil filter is nicely sideways, above the torsen bar. Virtually impossibly to prefill. Makes a good mess.

nissan Sentra (91-99) These were another "hey I got a great idea!" locations. Oil filter drips oil DIRECTLY onto the CV assembly.

The "So so " class-

the Honda Civic (96-00) Its in an OK position, but doesnt win any brownie points from me.

the Subaru Forester
The oil drain plug is located under a full body aero plastic plate, with a removabale acess plate.

The old 5.0 mustangs, they aint too bad either.

The "easy" class
Saturns, i recall them being quite easy, including tranny filters!

the Chevy trucks pre 88- The same filter as the new ones, but the pre 88 had a vertical mount filter, which was easy to get to, in full view, and very little mess.

The toyota Camry- Filters up front!

thats about all I remember. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back