I bought a new cookbook

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've been collecting recipes and cooking since 1967. It was early July (1st or 2nd) that I rolled into a cafe in Durango, CO, and had a slice of a very nice-tasting lemon poppy seed loaf. The chef gave me the recipe and I was on my way. That recipe has since been modified so many times it bears no resemblance to the original other than its name, Colorado Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf.

Over the years I've collected recipes from many sources ... books, magazines, chefs and cooks from various parts of the United States, and, of course, have created my own and modified many.

The one thing I've stayed away from has been pressure cookers, much preferring traditional cooking methods. However, some things have changed in my life, and a pressure cooker is a better fit these days, so earlier this week I bought an Instant Pot. A few folks that I know have 'em, and have been suggesting I give it a try. So on Monday, I saw that Walmart had just the model I was considering on sale for only $50.00. With a click of the mouse it was on its way, due to arrive this afternoonn.

Yesterday I received an email from Melissa Clark which mentioned her pressure cooker cookbook. I met Melissa briefly back in NY some years ago, and have many of her recipes in my collection as well as many of her videos. I like her cooking style and her recipes, so it was serendipity to discover her cookbook when I did. I found a nice used copy and it's on the way. This is the first cookbook that I've purchased in about ten years.

If you've got any interesting, especially regional, pressure cooker recipes, I'd love to see them.

1668199451540.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife use to make tabouleh salad in a instant pot pressure cooker, but she now makes it in a steam oven. My oldest brothers wife has a cheesecake pan for her Instant Pot and has made really good cheesecake in it.

I'm an old man and don't have an instant pot cooker. My Daughter swears they use one almost every day.

Maybe I should climb out of the woods and try one? Lord knows, my kitchen is full of gadgets that I have only used one or twice in 20 years.

Have an apple peeler, blooming onion maker, juicer, electric meat slicer, dehydrator, and the list goes on and on.....

Kind of like deer hunting. As a teen I thought it would be cheap meat. Considering all the rifles, shotguns, reloading equipment, bows and arrows, tree stands, clothes, etc. Would have been less expensive to buy ribeye steaks and prime rib roasts! Better eating too.;)

I wish you the best. Make sure and report back your impressions after using it!

Reactions: GON
Many years ago I went to a cousins house to watch a Steelers Football game. His wife had made something unusual and the taste was fantastic. She took very large pieces of shrimp and soaked them in Heinz Chili Sauce, then spiral wrapped each shrimp in a piece of bacon that had more meat than fat (which is not easy to find sometimes), and used toothpicks to hold the bacon in place, and then put them in the fridge for a day for the sauce flavor to soak into the shrimp, and then put then in an oven to cook. I think she put more of the sauce on them before they finished cooking. The shrimp ended up tasting like the best piece of ham I had ever tasted in my life. I'm have been a vegetarian now for over 16 years, and that was more than 20 years ago, but I still remember that was on of the best things I ever tasted in my life.

Just thought I would pass this along incase someone is looking for something to try that just might end up tasting fantastic.

Reactions: GON
wrapped each shrimp in a piece of bacon that had more meat than fat (which is not easy to find sometimes), and used toothpicks to hold the bacon in place

I'm quite the opposite. I prefer the fatty bacon. More fat and less meat the better. The meat is chewy and the fat crisps up better. Has a crunch in your mouth. Also prefer thin bacon over thick sliced. If bacon was 90% fat, it might be doable..;)

I'm an old man and don't have an instant pot cooker. My Daughter swears they use one almost every day.

Maybe I should climb out of the woods and try one? Lord knows, my kitchen is full of gadgets that I have only used one or twice in 20 years.

Have an apple peeler, blooming onion maker, juicer, electric meat slicer, dehydrator, and the list goes on and on.....

Kind of like deer hunting. As a teen I thought it would be cheap meat. Considering all the rifles, shotguns, reloading equipment, bows and arrows, tree stands, clothes, etc. Would have been less expensive to buy ribeye steaks and prime rib roasts! Better eating too.;)

I wish you the best. Make sure and report back your impressions after using it!
Fight the urge to buy more counter junk then you’ll ever use more than once. You describe yourself as an ‘old man’ with more crap that you need. Why add to it? With age comes wisdom, embrace it.

The Instant Pot arrived this morning ... I am happy, haven't gotten any new cooking gear in quite some time ... almost three years. Time to sit outside and read the manual and then look for some recipes. It sure has a lot of buttons.

1668367647053.jpeg

Back