I am thinking about switching from ac delco to super tech filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Groovy man!
smile.gif

-

My experience is that the AC's have more filter area. If your number is readily available at about $3, I would stick with the AC's. It is hard to beat the ST's on price, and they are about as good or better than many costing more. Some here suggest oil filters are not very important. Anything else likely will cost as much or more than the AC and likely have less filter area than it.

Labman.....Have you ever compared the champion made AC's to the supertechs as far as filter area? I have never found the delphi made AC's. But I did cut apart a champion made AC PF1233, and the filter area was 64 sq. inches. Another member here cut apart a ST 4967 (equivalent model) and supposedly found that it had 74 sq. inches of filter media. Perhaps the champion made AC's aren't as good and the Delphi models in the filter area department.
dunno.gif

from the outside the ac and the super tech both look the same both have the double tt stamped on the bottom of the filter.

[ August 22, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: huxley ]

This is a snip from Russ Knize's oil filter study.

"The telltale signs for an AC Delco filter are: Five large holes for the oil inlet and 6 spot welds on the rim surrounding them. There are no crimps holding the gasket in place. When you look through the inlet holes, you can see the metal bypass valve with its 12 small holes and the black anti-drainback valve diaphragm around it. Through the center outlet hole, you can see the spring for the bypass valve."

I think that the description is of a delphi model. I would post pics of exploded internals, but I don't know if or how to do it.

[ August 23, 2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

I would think either of them are good choices for oil filter brands, but the ST's are probably cheaper.

[ August 23, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Virtuoso ]

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
My experience is that the AC's have more filter area. If your number is readily available at about $3, I would stick with the AC's. It is hard to beat the ST's on price, and they are about as good or better than many costing more. Some here suggest oil filters are not very important. Anything else likely will cost as much or more than the AC and likely have less filter area than it.

So does my screen door have more area. Area by itself is not enough to judge a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back