I am PHEV Ready!

I think everyone should convert their garage into EV ready especially when you are trying to sell house.
Perhaps in some markets but I certainly wouldn’t do it where I live (Victoria, BC) as there would be no benefit in terms of a faster sale.

I’ll install electrical for EV charging either when I’m about to buy an EV or else if I were to be renovating a garage.

Perhaps in some markets but I certainly wouldn’t do it where I live (Victoria, BC) as there would be no benefit in terms of a faster sale.

I’ll install electrical for EV charging either when I’m about to buy an EV or else if I were to be renovating a garage.
Agreed. Generally speaking, there is very little added value in having EV charging infrastructure and I definitely would not add this as part of the presale prep. However, luxury items like these will matter more for some segments of the market than others. A buyer who is looking at a $1.5M+ house is more likely to be a EV owner than someone looking at a $750K house. At least in this area. So, you should always consider the potential target audience for your house when you plan long-term upgrades.

Yes, it was laughable when I was charging my Audi on 110 while I was waiting for my 50A plug install, lol. 12 hours did like nothing, lol.
I think it is 4-5 miles per hour on the Model 3/Y LR and 2-3 miles per hour with the X/S. Also, given the condition of most outdoor or garage 120V receptacles, I don't think I would want to risk 10-12 hr of continuous draw. As I mentioned earlier, 120V really should not be an option for EV charging.

Last edited:
I think it is 4-5 miles per hour on the Model 3/Y LR and 2-3 miles per hour with the X/S. Also, given the condition of most outdoor or garage 120V receptacles, I don't think I would want to risk 10-12 hr of continuous draw. As I mentioned earlier, 120V really should not be an option for EV charging.
Depends on one's use case. I have to believe the use case for 120V charging is pretty darn low. I have talked to co-workers with EVs that told me they only charged at work (subsidized rate); they never charged at home. I think the HOV lane had something to do with this... Ha!

I think everyone should convert their garage into EV ready especially when you are trying to sell house.
The adoption rate is only 10% currently. A good and wise thought but not necessary yet unless you have an EV or electrician already doing something else and have money in pocket to burn.

Personally I view it like adding USB-A wall adapter a few years back. Works but then came along USB-C with significantly higher output and charge rate.

I am not understanding the herd mentality for wanting an EV. I worked on electric forklits and an EV would be interesting to me but I can't see the attraction.

I am not understanding the herd mentality for wanting an EV. I worked on electric forklits and an EV would be interesting to me but I can't see the attraction.
Curious... What vehicles do you own? What would you buy, within reason? No biggie, just curious.
I am not sure if you have driven a Model 3, but they are amazing drivers cars. Not for everyone, of course.

Good move. We added 2 50a outlets on each side in garage while our current house was being built. Even though we had one phev at that time. Now both plugs are used constantly and next owner will appreciated it as a possible option. Probably not a deal breaker, but when looking at next house this will be something that may outweigh other house choices, if everything is about equal. Austin area is full of EVs and phevs…

Preserve your ignorance: do not ever drive a good EV such as a Tesla until you can afford it else you will be miserable.
I've driven many of the currently available EV's, can easily afford a Tesla (was considering a Model Y Performance) but will likely eventually end up with a BMW EV if we go that route. Just a much more premium feeling vehicle.

Yes, it was laughable when I was charging my Audi on 110 while I was waiting for my 50A plug install, lol. 12 hours did like nothing, lol.
12 hours on 110vac gets me 50-80 miles (depending on the weather)

I wonder if your car has very inefficient battery conditioning or BMS equipment?

I wonder if your car has very inefficient battery conditioning or BMS equipment?
Lots of variables, but 3-4 miles/hr is the norm for Model 3/Y LR.

The e-tron has one of the flattest charge curves on the market, but you are limited to the constant draw limit of 75% of a circuit's capacity, so, with a 50A plug, that's 38A, for a 15A plug that's less than 12A; ~1,300W. The e-tron has a 94kWh battery, 12hrs on 110V is ~15kW (if we include losses) or a 16% increase in SoC; far less than "1/4 of a tank".

Reactions: JC1
I would not have an EV if I could not charge at home. I believe most people fit in this group; I could be wrong.
For example, across the street they have a Bolt. They almost never charge at home and when they do they use the chump change 110V outlet.
They don't drive all that much and charge at work.

The e-tron has one of the flattest charge curves on the market, but you are limited to the constant draw limit of 75% of a circuit's capacity, so, with a 50A plug, that's 38A, for a 15A plug that's less than 12A; ~1,300W. The e-tron has a 94kWh battery, 12hrs on 110V is ~15kW (if we include losses) or a 16% increase in SoC; far less than "1/4 of a tank".

1300 x 12 = 15,600 wthrs

Summer for me at least it’s fairly easy to get about 5 miles per kwhr off the wall which equates to
15kwhr x 5 = 75 miles YMMV

For me that is good for almost every day of the week except trips

I guess everyone’s daily activities is different.

That isn't the correct 50A outlet for daily plug in/remove contacts from. Dryer/RV outlets aren't designed for daily connect/disconnect contact cycles. I think Telsa may have some sort of advisory out on those NEMA plugs?

Back