hyundai warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spoiler on my 2009 sonata se disappeared, leaving 5 bolt holes on my trunk lid, I think it just fell off as there are no pry marks on the paint. Hyundai will not cover replacement of the spoiler without the old spoiler to show them-do I have any good options

Lemme see: you have bolt holes (assume that means that your spoiler is the "bolt-on" type) and no pry marks when your spoiler disappeared. Either it "vapourised" or someone gain access to your trunk, undo all the bolts and take off with your spoiler with a clean runaway.

Sorry, my logical mindset can only go that far...

Q.

It does seem as you would notice the loose part. 5 bolts don't unscrew at once. Is the paint marred up from it sitting on there loose?

No the paint is not marred up. There is the remains of an adhesive gasket material in places. Though there are 5 bolt holes in my trunk lid, I don't believe the nuts were ever on.

Ya you only have a couple options. It's unlikely Hyundai will do anything, as you mentioned, since there isn't signs that would indicate it just "flew off" as you were driving down the highway....

You could go through your auto insurance, report it as "vandalism" - maybe go as far as calling law enforcement.

Problem is, it MAY be too late now for that, since they will ask when you first noticed it, and why did you wait this long, (Sorry officer, I had to ask on an online message board? hehe). Similarly, the insurance company will likely ask the same thing.

And yea, then you have the possible repercusion of increasing your rate for the claim upon your next renewal, and if you decide to switch insurance companies, you WILL have to disclose that yes you've had a claim within the past 2-5 years (depends on the company/form, some ask 2 years, some ask 5 years, after that it's all history; clean slate per se).

But yea, may just be better off checking a junk yard
frown.gif

Why would anyone steal the spoiler, especially off a Hyundai? It's not like a Civic/Accord where the head/tail lights were in hot demand for modding back in the early 2000's and late 90's.

I personally think it came off while driving, may have loosened up overtime and driving through any type of severe weather(heavy winds) made the adhesive fail and off it goes.

You need to remember that NOT ALL of the cars used the bolts. Some would come with adhesive, others with the bolts and adhesive and some with just bolts. My tC if you bought the factory spoiler could use either bolts or adhesive.

The holes shown may never have been used to begin with and just used straight up adhesive. Do you recall seeing bolts through the inside of the trunk?

Insurance works. If the claim is small(<$1000) no real affect on rates in my experience.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Why would anyone steal the spoiler, especially off a Hyundai?

Why do thieves steal anything? There have been a few posts on here about people stealing wiper blades. That's pretty petty, but it still happens.

I've had valve stem caps stolen. Nothing special, just metal caps that cost a couple bucks for four at any auto parts store.

Why? they are apparently severely lacking when it comes to morals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back