Hyundai recalls 82K Kona EV's

I'm sure early ICE designs had a few teething problems as well. Many EVs and hybrids sold over the last 2 decades have proven to be quite reliable. In the case of the Bolt and Kona there is a single physical defect (i.e. I personally think it's the same issue on both) which is only possible to correct with replacement of all affected cells. GM's software-only approach puts them in a situation which this week's latest Bolt fire should make them rethink.
Samsung had battery problem, but that doesn't means all smart phones in the world will blow up. Same for EV battery fire, just because some of them have problem doesn't mean fundamentally they are all bad.

EV will be the same, I'd bet the overall EV (car, battery, charging, everything included) reliability will not be worse than a Prius (the most reliable car in the world today) when they are design and build correctly. Tesla is a "move fast and break things" company and you know what you are buying, when Toyota is selling something similar then you know things are mature.

Back